* Problem with SOUP packing files
@ 1997-02-12 23:53 Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1997-02-12 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Eze Ogwuma

Hi,

I'm using SOUP to transfer stuff between machines. Each time I've used
G-s-p to pack the SOUP files on the server, Gnus has exited with the
message "Couldn't pack packet". A tgz file has been left in my home
directory but the files in ~/SoupBrew are not deleted.

The server uses Gnus v5.3

The tgz file is correctly incorporated by Gnus on my home system.

Can someone please tell me what's going?

Thanks.

* Re: Problem with SOUP packing files
@ 1997-02-14  9:28 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-14  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eze Ogwuma <zcaceog@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> I'm using SOUP to transfer stuff between machines. Each time I've used
> G-s-p to pack the SOUP files on the server, Gnus has exited with the
> message "Couldn't pack packet". A tgz file has been left in my home
> directory but the files in ~/SoupBrew are not deleted.

This means that the packing shell command is not returning 0, for some
reason:

    (if (zerop (call-process shell-file-name
			     nil nil nil shell-command-switch
			     (concat "cd " dir " ; " packer)))
	(progn
	  (call-process shell-file-name nil nil nil shell-command-switch
			(concat "cd " dir " ; rm " files))
	  (gnus-message 4 "Packing...done" packer))
      (error "Couldn't pack packet."))))

Perhaps you use a wonky shell?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Problem with SOUP packing files
@ 1997-02-14 15:21   ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1997-02-14 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, Eze Ogwuma

On 14 Feb 1997, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Eze Ogwuma <zcaceog@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > I'm using SOUP to transfer stuff between machines. Each time I've used
> > G-s-p to pack the SOUP files on the server, Gnus has exited with the
> > message "Couldn't pack packet". A tgz file has been left in my home
> > directory but the files in ~/SoupBrew are not deleted.
>
> This means that the packing shell command is not returning 0, for some
> reason:
>
>     (if (zerop (call-process shell-file-name
> 			     nil nil nil shell-command-switch
> 			     (concat "cd " dir " ; " packer)))
> 	(progn
> 	  (call-process shell-file-name nil nil nil shell-command-switch
> 			(concat "cd " dir " ; rm " files))
> 	  (gnus-message 4 "Packing...done" packer))
>       (error "Couldn't pack packet."))))
>
> Perhaps you use a wonky shell?

I am using csh on the server.

Eze.

* Re: Problem with SOUP packing files
@ 1997-02-14 19:53   ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1997-02-14 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Eze Ogwuma <zcaceog@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > I'm using SOUP to transfer stuff between machines. Each time I've used
> > G-s-p to pack the SOUP files on the server, Gnus has exited with the
> > message "Couldn't pack packet". A tgz file has been left in my home
> > directory but the files in ~/SoupBrew are not deleted.
>
> This means that the packing shell command is not returning 0, for some
> reason:
>
>     (if (zerop (call-process shell-file-name
> 			     nil nil nil shell-command-switch
> 			     (concat "cd " dir " ; " packer)))
> 	(progn
> 	  (call-process shell-file-name nil nil nil shell-command-switch
> 			(concat "cd " dir " ; rm " files))
> 	  (gnus-message 4 "Packing...done" packer))
>       (error "Couldn't pack packet."))))
>
> Perhaps you use a wonky shell?

What is the default Gnus 5.3 shell packing command?

Eze.

* Re: Problem with SOUP packing files
@ 1997-02-19  2:17 ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1997-02-19  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some of the discussion on this occurred off the list; so if anyone is
interested, I found that setting the "shell-file-name" variable for
emacs on the server to "/bin/sh" solved the problem. Csh, Ksh and Tcsh
didn't work.

--
Eze Ogwuma