* Messages on IMAP server are somtimes disappeared when two Gnus are running in parallel
@ 2012-03-03  2:56 TSUCHIYA Masatoshi
From: TSUCHIYA Masatoshi @ 2012-03-03  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I frequently meet the following trouble:

(1) On the system A, I read new messages on my IMAP server with Gnus.
    Gnus on the system A is kept on running.

(2) On the other system B, I can check messages on my IMAP server, but I
    cannot find messages checked on the system A.

(3) On the system A, I can see the messages which was checked at the
    first step.  Contrary, I cannot see the messages whith was checked
    on the system B at the second step.

Unfortunately, I have not identified a reproduction condition of this
trouble.  I hope that someone may give me either a solution or a hint to
identify it.

The related information are:

(a) I use the newest version of Gnus on Git master branch.

(b) My IMAP server is Dovecot 1.2.15 which is running on Debian
    GNU/Linux 6.0.4.

(c) A snippet of my Gnus configuration:

      (setq gnus-select-method `(nnimap "hostname"
				        (nnimap-stream shell)
				        (nnimap-shell-program "ssh hostname connect localhost 143")
				        (nnimap-authenticator cram-md5)))

(d) Because the largest folder on my IMAP server contains over 60000
    messages, the following code is also required.

      (setq gnus-large-newsgroup 2000)

--
TSUCHIYA Masatoshi

* Re: Messages on IMAP server are somtimes disappeared when two Gnus are running in parallel
@ 2012-03-10  0:35 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-03-10  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

TSUCHIYA Masatoshi <tsuchiya@namazu.org> writes:

> (1) On the system A, I read new messages on my IMAP server with Gnus.
>     Gnus on the system A is kept on running.
>
> (2) On the other system B, I can check messages on my IMAP server, but I
>     cannot find messages checked on the system A.

In what way can't you find the message?  Doesn't `C-u RET' on the group
show you the messages?

* Re: Messages on IMAP server are somtimes disappeared when two Gnus are running in parallel
@ 2012-03-16  8:04   ` TSUCHIYA Masatoshi
From: TSUCHIYA Masatoshi @ 2012-03-16  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 01:35:29 +0100
>> larsi@gnus.org (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen) said as follows:

>> (1) On the system A, I read new messages on my IMAP server with Gnus.
>>     Gnus on the system A is kept on running.
>>
>> (2) On the other system B, I can check messages on my IMAP server, but I
>>     cannot find messages checked on the system A.

>In what way can't you find the message?  Doesn't `C-u RET' on the group
>show you the messages?

Wow, I saw quite strange messages.

System A says "How many articles from mail (available 61771, default 2000): ", however
System B says "How many articles from mail (available 61773, default 2000): ".

Because I tried `C-u RET' at the exactly same time, the numbers of
available messages on these two systems must be equal.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-03-22 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

TSUCHIYA Masatoshi <tsuchiya@namazu.org> writes:

> System A says "How many articles from mail (available 61771, default 2000): ", however
> System B says "How many articles from mail (available 61773, default 2000): ".
>
> Because I tried `C-u RET' at the exactly same time, the numbers of
> available messages on these two systems must be equal.

Are you using the same Gnus version on both machines?  And if so, do the
counts match up if you `M-g' on the group on both machines?

* Re: Messages on IMAP server are somtimes disappeared when two Gnus are running in parallel
@ 2012-03-28 13:41       ` TSUCHIYA Masatoshi
From: TSUCHIYA Masatoshi @ 2012-03-28 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 21:25:57 +0100
>> larsi@gnus.org (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen) said as follows:

>> System A says "How many articles from mail (available 61771, default 2000): ", however
>> System B says "How many articles from mail (available 61773, default 2000): ".
>>
>> Because I tried `C-u RET' at the exactly same time, the numbers of
>> available messages on these two systems must be equal.

>Are you using the same Gnus version on both machines?

Yes.

>And if so, do the counts match up if you `M-g' on the group on both
>machines?

Before `M-g',
System A says "How many articles from mail (available 61951, default 2000):", however
System B says "How many articles from mail (available 61964, default 2000):".

After `M-g',
Both System A and System B say "How many articles from mail (available 61964, default 2000):".

Could you imagine what was wrong?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-04-10 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

TSUCHIYA Masatoshi <tsuchiya@namazu.org> writes:

> After `M-g',
> Both System A and System B say "How many articles from mail (available
> 61964, default 2000):".
>
> Could you imagine what was wrong?

Well, Gnus seems to be losing track of some articles on one of the Gnus
instances.  Could you try to determine when this happens?

And also, do are the groups covered by the Gnus Agent on one of the
machines, perhaps?