* gnus-parameters - display number + ticked?
@ 2010-12-13  9:21 Bruno Tavernier
From: Bruno Tavernier @ 2010-12-13  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnus

Hello,

Is it possible to tell gnus to always display both the latest 40 articles
*and* the ticked articles?

In gnus-parameters, I tried to combine (display . 40) and (display
. [ticked]) but wasn't very lucky. ;-)

Pratically, I'd like to have a quick access to the important mails
(ticked ones) and let's say the mails of the last 2-3 days.
Typically mails that I read recently but which were not worth ticking.

It is almost certain that I overlooked at one of the gazillions great
features of gnus. Any pointer?

--
Bruno

* Re: gnus-parameters - display number + ticked?
@ 2010-12-15 20:26 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-15 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Bruno Tavernier <tavernier.bruno@gmail.com> writes:

> Is it possible to tell gnus to always display both the latest 40 articles
> *and* the ticked articles?

Hm...  I can't recall any such pre-defined functionality in Gnus...

* Re: gnus-parameters - display number + ticked?
@ 2010-12-15 20:53   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-12-15 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 21:26:41 +0100 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Bruno Tavernier <tavernier.bruno@gmail.com> writes:
>> Is it possible to tell gnus to always display both the latest 40 articles
>> *and* the ticked articles?

LMI> Hm...  I can't recall any such pre-defined functionality in Gnus...

I'm pretty sure you said in the past it's not possible because of the
way the `C-u N RET' (pull latest N articles) functionality works.

Ted

* Re: gnus-parameters - display number + ticked?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-15 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I'm pretty sure you said in the past it's not possible because of the
> way the `C-u N RET' (pull latest N articles) functionality works.

I did?  I mean, "40 last" just means "select the (- max 40) last
articles", and it's trivial to add the list of the ticked articles to
that.  Or create an intersection or whatever.

(But if the group has sparse article numbers, then you're not going to
end up with 40 articles reliably, but that's true even when not
combining with the ticked articles.)

* Re: gnus-parameters - display number + ticked?
@ 2010-12-15 21:41       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-12-15 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 22:33:01 +0100 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> I'm pretty sure you said in the past it's not possible because of the
>> way the `C-u N RET' (pull latest N articles) functionality works.

LMI> I did?  I mean, "40 last" just means "select the (- max 40) last
LMI> articles", and it's trivial to add the list of the ticked articles to
LMI> that.  Or create an intersection or whatever.

LMI> (But if the group has sparse article numbers, then you're not going to
LMI> end up with 40 articles reliably, but that's true even when not
LMI> combining with the ticked articles.)

I may be remembering it wrong.  Sorry.  If you can make it work, it
would be the better default behavior IMO.

Ted

* Re: gnus-parameters - display number + ticked?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-16 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I may be remembering it wrong.  Sorry.  If you can make it work, it
> would be the better default behavior IMO.

I've had a look at the code, and if you have (display . [ticked]), then
it basically selects all the articles, and then narrows to the articles
that match the predicate.  If it's a number, it just fetches that number
of articles.

So it's possible to special-case, say, (40 ticked) to just select the
last 40, plus the ticked articles, but it means adding new special rules
for this situation, and I'm not sure the functionality is compelling
enough.