* TLS and stuff
@ 2010-09-07 16:10 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-07 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I saw over on the Emacs list that Emacs 24 now has native TLS support,
which would be nice for many Gnus things.

Is there a simple how-to on how to use that, but still fall back on
using, er, "openssl s_client" if the built-in support doesn't exist?
I'm thinking about how to use that for imaps servers...

* Re: TLS and stuff
@ 2010-09-07 17:09 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-09-07 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 18:10:01 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> I saw over on the Emacs list that Emacs 24 now has native TLS support,
LMI> which would be nice for many Gnus things.

The patch is not yet ready but I'm getting close to anonymous and x509
authentication.  In fact I started work on this patch (which Simon
Josefsson wrote originally) exactly for the benefit of Gnus.

LMI> Is there a simple how-to on how to use that, but still fall back on
LMI> using, er, "openssl s_client" if the built-in support doesn't exist?
LMI> I'm thinking about how to use that for imaps servers...

See lisp/net/gnutls.el below (this version is revised from the posted
one with the patch to fix some stupid message bugs).  Simon wanted
gnutls.el to be a drop-in replacement for starttls.el so I'll probably
adapt it a little but keep the interface.

I posted the latest patch last night.  All I can say is "it compiles."
But you can try this after eval-ing gnutls.el:

(open-ssl-stream "tls" "tls-buffer" "yourserver.com" "imaps")

Right now it errors out with

progn: (err=-28) handshake: nil
Ouch, error return -28

so I need to fix the error handling that's supposed to return
'gnutls-e-again in this case.  I'll get to it tonight, I hope.

Ted

[-- Attachment #2: gnutls.el --]

* Re: TLS and stuff
@ 2010-09-07 17:13   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-07 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I posted the latest patch last night.  All I can say is "it compiles."
> But you can try this after eval-ing gnutls.el:
>
> (open-ssl-stream "tls" "tls-buffer" "yourserver.com" "imaps")

Nice.

> Right now it errors out with
>
> progn: (err=-28) handshake: nil
> Ouch, error return -28
>
> so I need to fix the error handling that's supposed to return
> 'gnutls-e-again in this case.  I'll get to it tonight, I hope.

Ok -- I'm not going to need this until this weekend, anyway.  :-)