* multipart part does not have valid content-type
       [not found] <20100809231654.GZ31014@rzlab.ucr.edu>
@ 2010-08-09 23:36 ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-08-09 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: owner, 591094

Dear Gnus team, I sent http://jidanni.org/test/591094.mbox.txt using
gnus-version "Gnus v5.13" with http://jidanni.org/comp/configuration/ and
then regarding http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=591094

DA> Your MUA is sending a multipart message with a part that doesn't have
DA> a valid content-type; because the only content-type that is specified
DA> is an image, and there isn't text content, one of our rules finds it
DA> and discards it. [Various viruses do this, and we procmail them out
DA> specifically.]

DA> Please fix your MUA to set a Content-Type on all parts of a multipart
DA> message. [While this is not strictly required by the RFC 1521, there's
DA> no reason not to have one, and almost all MUAs have them.]

* Re: multipart part does not have valid content-type
@ 2010-08-10  0:18   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2010-08-10  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: owner, 591094

jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

> Dear Gnus team, I sent http://jidanni.org/test/591094.mbox.txt using
> gnus-version "Gnus v5.13" with http://jidanni.org/comp/configuration/ and
> then regarding http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=591094

DA> Your MUA is sending a multipart message with a part that doesn't have
DA> a valid content-type; because the only content-type that is specified
DA> is an image, and there isn't text content, one of our rules finds it
DA> and discards it. [Various viruses do this, and we procmail them out
DA> specifically.]

DA> Please fix your MUA to set a Content-Type on all parts of a multipart
DA> message. [While this is not strictly required by the RFC 1521, there's
DA> no reason not to have one, and almost all MUAs have them.]

(setq mml-insert-mime-headers-always t)

and you will be able to verify that the Content-Type header is
inserted in each text/plain part by typing `C-u C-c C-m P' before
sending a multipart message to such a brain-damaged MUA.

* Re: multipart part does not have valid content-type
@ 2010-08-10  5:59     ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2010-08-10  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[stripped debian-bugs from CC]

Katsumi Yamaoka writes:
> jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
>
>> Dear Gnus team, I sent http://jidanni.org/test/591094.mbox.txt using
>> gnus-version "Gnus v5.13" with http://jidanni.org/comp/configuration/ and
>> then regarding http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=591094
>
> DA> Your MUA is sending a multipart message with a part that doesn't have
> DA> a valid content-type; because the only content-type that is specified
> DA> is an image, and there isn't text content, one of our rules finds it
> DA> and discards it. [Various viruses do this, and we procmail them out
> DA> specifically.]
>
> DA> Please fix your MUA to set a Content-Type on all parts of a multipart
> DA> message. [While this is not strictly required by the RFC 1521, there's
> DA> no reason not to have one, and almost all MUAs have them.]
>
> (setq mml-insert-mime-headers-always t)
>
> and you will be able to verify that the Content-Type header is
> inserted in each text/plain part by typing `C-u C-c C-m P' before
> sending a multipart message to such a brain-damaged MUA.

I would vote for making this the default. I agree that it should be
unnecessary; RFC 1521 does not "not strictly" require it for text/plain,
it simply does not require it ("If no Content-Type is specified, this
default is assumed.", with the default being text/plain,us-ascii). I
find it strange that debian-bugs actually filters messages based on such
very general notions.

-David

* Re: multipart part does not have valid content-type
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-08-28 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> I would vote for making this the default.

Since some things out there seem to not like having parts without
explicit Content-Type headers, that might be best.  However:

> I agree that it should be unnecessary; RFC 1521 does not "not
> strictly" require it for text/plain, it simply does not require it
> ("If no Content-Type is specified, this default is assumed.", with the
> default being text/plain,us-ascii). I find it strange that debian-bugs
> actually filters messages based on such very general notions.

It is really strange.  Downright weird.  I think debian-bugs should just
fix their filters.

* Re: multipart part does not have valid content-type
@ 2010-08-30 13:33         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-08-30 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 00:19:43 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
>> I would vote for making this the default.

LMI> Since some things out there seem to not like having parts without
LMI> explicit Content-Type headers, that might be best.  However:

>> I agree that it should be unnecessary; RFC 1521 does not "not
>> strictly" require it for text/plain, it simply does not require it
>> ("If no Content-Type is specified, this default is assumed.", with the
>> default being text/plain,us-ascii). I find it strange that debian-bugs
>> actually filters messages based on such very general notions.

LMI> It is really strange.  Downright weird.  I think debian-bugs should just
LMI> fix their filters.

Let's just be explicit about it.  What's a few more bytes between friends?

Ted

* Re: multipart part does not have valid content-type
@ 2010-08-30 17:01           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-08-30 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Let's just be explicit about it.  What's a few more bytes between
> friends?

True.  I'll fix it.