From: Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk>
Subject: Re: changing gnus-group-posting-charset-alist
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:35:55 +0200	[thread overview]

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> | gnus-group-posting-charset-alist's value is
> | (("^\\(no\\|fr\\)..." iso-8859-1 (iso-8859-1))
> |  ("^\\(fido7\\|relcom\\)..." koi8-r (koi8-r))
> |  (message-this-is-mail nil nil)
> |  (message-this-is-news nil t))
>
> Is it still necessary not to encode text by qp or something to
> post news articles to no, fr, fido7 and relcom newsgroups?

I think the reason for the special entries isn't CTE=QP as such, but
that those hierarchies don't want rfc2047-encoded headers.

> As for other newsgroups, Gnus forces the 8bit encoding especially
> to news articles' body by default.  Isn't it a vestige of the
> time when Gnus had not been multiligualized?  It is hard for me
> to imagine there's a difference between mail and news.

The major difference is that NNTP is 8bit-clean whereas SMTP isn't.
Or more precisely: The NNTP draft standard states that NNTP is
8bit-clean (which has been true for a long time).  The SMTP standard
says you shouldn't use 8bit in email except when the server supports
the ESMTP extension 8BITMIME.

In practice SMTP probably _is_ 8bit-clean today -- but we wouln't want
a heavily armed IETF squad team knocking at the door because we're
violating RFC 2821.  Which is why we use CTE=QP.

> Almost Japanese text which I write can be encoded by iso-2022-jp
> and 7bit.  So, those text will be posted as 7bit articles.
> However, I sometimes followup to articles containing characters
> which cannot be encoded by 7bit.  In those cases, text will be
> encoded by shift_jis, utf-8 and so forth and fed to the server
> without being encoded with qp or base64.  A newsreader posting
> such articles may be only Gnus nowadays.

It's interesting that your perspective is the opposite of mine: I see
QP mainly as an annoying concession to maybe a few old SMTP servers
which still aren't 8bit-clean.  If possible I'd prefer 8bit
everywhere, because you can use the text directly without decoding it
first, for example you can grep your mailbox directly.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but that this preference is probably
locale-dependent.

--
Jesper Harder                                <http://purl.org/harder/>