* Syncing some doc fixes to v5-10
@ 2004-09-20 15:26 Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-09-20 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I merged most doc fixes (texi/*.texi) from the trunk to v5-10 branch
(from now back to 2004-01-04 = release of 5.10.6).

Kevin, could you please check if there are some (agent related) doc
fixes that should go into v5-10, too?

Jesper, could you please apply your fixes related to the encoding of
the *.texi files (and maybe other fixes) in v5-10?

The Changes from v5-10 will be synched to Emacs via Miles arch
repository.  See the thread "Sync of Gnus with Emacs"
<URL:http://thread.gmane.org/v9eklyke6b.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
for further comments.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Syncing some doc fixes to v5-10
@ 2004-09-20 21:14 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-09-20 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> Jesper, could you please apply your fixes related to the encoding of
> the *.texi files

Is it strictly necessary?  It doesn't really matter except for the
hard-copy version.  And I'd rather not mess around with the Emacs
Make/Automake files (which would be required).

> (and maybe other fixes) in v5-10?

I'll take a look, but it might be a while before I get time.  Most of
my post-Oort changes are cleanups or new functionality (which don't
belong in v5-10), but there are few bug fixes as well.

--
Jesper Harder                                <http://purl.org/harder/>

* Re: Syncing some doc fixes to v5-10
@ 2004-09-20 22:55   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-09-20 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:
> Is it strictly necessary?  It doesn't really matter except for the
> hard-copy version.  And I'd rather not mess around with the Emacs
> Make/Automake files (which would be required).

Are these changes that would be desirable in general for the emacs doc
Makefiles?

-Miles
--
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
  --Albert Einstein

* Re: Syncing some doc fixes to v5-10
@ 2004-09-21 18:29     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-09-21 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:
>
>> Is it strictly necessary?  It doesn't really matter except for the
>> hard-copy version.  And I'd rather not mess around with the Emacs
>> Make/Automake files (which would be required).
>
> Are these changes that would be desirable in general for the emacs doc
> Makefiles?

I don't know ... if the Emacs docs contain many Texinfo-"encoded"
Latin-1 chars, e.g. @aa{} and so on, I suppose it would be nicer to
display them with the actual glyph, "å", rather than in an ASCII
rendition, "aa".

--
Jesper Harder                                <http://purl.org/harder/>

* @documentencoding, `makeinfo --enable-encoding' (was: Syncing some doc fixes to v5-10)
@ 2004-10-04 18:11       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-10-04 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Sep 21 2004, Jesper Harder wrote:

> Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Jesper Harder <harder@ifa.au.dk> writes:
>>
>>> Is it strictly necessary?  It doesn't really matter except for the
>>> hard-copy version.  And I'd rather not mess around with the Emacs
>>> Make/Automake files (which would be required).
>>
>> Are these changes that would be desirable in general for the emacs doc
>> Makefiles?
>
> I don't know ... if the Emacs docs contain many Texinfo-"encoded"
> Latin-1 chars, e.g. @aa{} and so on, I suppose it would be nicer to
> display them with the actual glyph, "å", rather than in an ASCII
> rendition, "aa".

Beside `gnus.texi', there are some other files in Emacs using
non-ascii characters (this list is most probably incomplete):

emacs/man$ grep -ie '[äöüßáéíóúàèìòù¬]' -e '@aa{}' -e '@\"[aou]' *.texi
ack.texi:Torbj@"orn
emacs.texi:Dukhovni, John Eaton, Rolf Ebert, Stephen Eglen, Torbj@"orn Einarsson,
emacs.texi:Sebastian Kremer, Geoff Kuenning, David K@aa{}gedal, Daniel LaLiberte,
faq.texi:Roland Schäuble reports that Emacs 18.58 running on plain TOS and MiNT
gnus.texi:makes strings like @samp{déjà vu} look like @samp{d=E9j=E0 vu}, which
gnus.texi:@itemx ¬
ses.texi:Stefan Reichör @email{xsteve@@riic.at}@*

It becomes quite obvious that something is wrong when you look at the
info pages using...

LC_ALL=greek emacs -q -no-site-file --eval '(info "(efaq)Emacs for Atari ST")'

... or similar: You get "Schδuble" instead of "Schäuble".

IIRC, at least Latin-1 characters work correctly in info and dvi when
using --enable-encoding and @"a [1].

Bye, Reiner.

[1] http://search.gmane.org/search.php?group=gmane.comp.tex.texinfo.general&query=documentencoding+enable+encoding
--