From: prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc)
Subject: Re: Patch needed: Defense against embedded ^M in Message-Id -- ow!
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 12:05:43 -0400	[thread overview]

I wrote:
> I just fixed this same bug in the last version of nnmaildir.  It's ok
> to leave the carriage returns unchanged, but to prevent them from
> becoming newlines, you have to do this:
> (let ((nnheader-file-coding-system 'binary) ...) ...)
> when writing your NOV file.

Er, when *reading* the NOV file.  And assuming you're using
nnheader-insert-file-contents to do it.

In the cases I found, the carriage returns would be preserved when the
message file was read, because there were some lines that didn't have
them, so the magic coding-system stuff didn't kick in.  They were also
written correctly to the NOV file, but then when they were reread,
there were only carriage returns and no newlines, so carriage return
was converted to newline.

Hm.  But other backends' NOV files *do* have newlines.  So maybe the
fix will be slightly different.

paul