* v.98 pdf decoding broken?
@ 1999-11-24 14:46 uliw
From: uliw @ 1999-11-24 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

sorry if this is FAQ, but I looked through the mail-archive
without success.

I am unable to decode a properly encoded pdf attachment. The file is
written to disk and loaded, but remains empty.

	Thanks for any hints

	       Uli
--
	Uli Wortmann
	Dept. of Geology       Fax (Switzerland) (1) 632  1080

* Re: v.98 pdf decoding broken?
@ 1999-12-01 20:42 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-01 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

uliw@erdw.ethz.ch writes:

> I am unable to decode a properly encoded pdf attachment. The file is
> written to disk and loaded, but remains empty.

Does this work better in Pterodactyl 0.99?

* Re: v.98 pdf decoding broken?
@ 1999-12-02  5:09   ` Johan Kullstam
From: Johan Kullstam @ 1999-12-02  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> uliw@erdw.ethz.ch writes:
>
> > I am unable to decode a properly encoded pdf attachment. The file is
> > written to disk and loaded, but remains empty.
>
> Does this work better in Pterodactyl 0.99?

while looking at the qp-or-uuencode choser back in 0.96 (or was it
0.97...), i noticed some bad behavior with .pdf files.

it seems pdf are ascii but with a CR instead of LF or CF/LF to end the
lines.  (i think this is macintosh format as opposed to unix or ansi.)
anyhow, the choser doesn't see enough non-printable stuff and uses
quoted-printable format.

the problem is that CR doesn't signify end-of-line to many of the
tools and the QP can, therefore, have some extremely long lines.  i've
had the lines get broken and wrapped by my mail processing chain.  i
am not sure if it's gnus/emacs sending, my isp's sendmail, my
fetchmail, my qmail, or gnus/emacs receiving the mail where it gets
clobbered.  somewhere there be dragons.

has anyone else run across this?  how should we handle ascii with long
lines (very few LF chars)?  should this be made uuencoded or perhaps
there is some CR and LF stuff in QP to break the lines and reform them
upon unquoting?

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[kullstam@ne.mediaone.net]

* Re: v.98 pdf decoding broken?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-02  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Johan Kullstam" <kullstam@ne.mediaone.net> writes:

> it seems pdf are ascii but with a CR instead of LF or CF/LF to end the
> lines.  (i think this is macintosh format as opposed to unix or ansi.)
> anyhow, the choser doesn't see enough non-printable stuff and uses
> quoted-printable format.

Oh, you mean there were problems with the PDF files Gnus encoded?
Yes, that's a known problem, which is fixed in 5.8.

* Re: v.98 pdf decoding broken?
@ 1999-12-02  9:30   ` uliw
From: uliw @ 1999-12-02  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Lars> uliw@erdw.ethz.ch writes:
    >> I am unable to decode a properly encoded pdf attachment. The
    >> file is written to disk and loaded, but remains empty.

    Lars> Does this work better in Pterodactyl 0.99?

Haven't checked yet. Hang on

        uli
--
	Uli Wortmann           Fax (Switzerland) (1) 632  1080
	Dept. of Geology       Fon                        3694

@ 1999-12-02 10:06   ` uliw
From: uliw @ 1999-12-02 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Lars> uliw@erdw.ethz.ch writes:
    >> I am unable to decode a properly encoded pdf attachment. The
    >> file is written to disk and loaded, but remains empty.

    Lars> Does this work better in Pterodactyl 0.99?

nope. However, if I _name_ the attachment my_file.zip instead of
my_file.pdf, all is fine. Does gnus behave diffrently depending on the
ending? If not, it seems to be an os-depending thing, related to the
fact how text/binary files are handled.

        Cheers

                Uli

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-12-02 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

uliw@erdw.ethz.ch writes:

> nope. However, if I _name_ the attachment my_file.zip instead of
> my_file.pdf, all is fine. Does gnus behave diffrently depending on the
> ending? If not, it seems to be an os-depending thing, related to the
> fact how text/binary files are handled.

Hm.  Could you attach a PDF file and mail it to me?