* Strange Gcc behavior
@ 1999-07-12 15:12 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-07-12 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hitting C-c C-c in the following message creates a message from
nobody:

,-----
| Gcc: nnml:mail.misc
| Subject: foo
|
| test 1
`-----

Hitting C-c C-c in the following message creates a message from me:

,-----
| Gcc: nnml:mail.misc
| To: ()
| Subject: foo
|
| test 2
`-----

Why?

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: Strange Gcc behavior
@ 1999-08-27 17:50 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-08-27 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hitting C-c C-c in the following message creates a message from
> nobody:
>
> ,-----
> | Gcc: nnml:mail.misc
> | Subject: foo
> |
> | test 1
> `-----
>
> Hitting C-c C-c in the following message creates a message from me:
>
> ,-----
> | Gcc: nnml:mail.misc
> | To: ()
> | Subject: foo
> |
> | test 2
> `-----
>
> Why?

It's rather arkane.

When Message sends out messages, it kinda does this:

1) Check whether it's mail, and if so, generate headers and mail it.
2) Check whether it's news, and if so, generate headers and post it.
3) Allow hooks to do Gcc.

If you have no To, Newsgroups (or whatever) headers, then Message
won't find out that it's mail, and it won't find out that it's news,
so no headers will be generated.  The Gcc will still be performed.

Nah -- that wasn't arkane.

* Re: Strange Gcc behavior
@ 1999-08-27 19:00   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-08-27 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If you have no To, Newsgroups (or whatever) headers, then Message
> won't find out that it's mail, and it won't find out that it's news,
> so no headers will be generated.  The Gcc will still be performed.

Do you think this should be changed?  Like, always generate a few
headers (including From)?  Or assume it's mail if it wasn't news?  Or
invent a new kind of message -- gcc'd message?

OTOH, I doubt that anyone really sees this, so I don't think it's
worth it.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: Strange Gcc behavior
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-08-27 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Do you think this should be changed?  Like, always generate a few
> headers (including From)?

Message doesn't know what headers to generate if it doesn't know where
to send it...

> Or assume it's mail if it wasn't news?  Or
> invent a new kind of message -- gcc'd message?
>
> OTOH, I doubt that anyone really sees this, so I don't think it's
> worth it.

Mee too.