* Movement commands
@ 1999-03-01 15:20 Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-03-01 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have now set gnus-summary-goto-unread to 'never and used that for a
while (2 weeks?).  It is almost but not quite what I want.  I'm
missing the ability to move to the next or previous unread message.
All other commands behave in a meaningful way.

I still think that using orthogonal marking and movement is the only
way to make Gnus flexible enough for all needs.

(By orthogonality I mean that it should be possible to specify the
following movement behaviors for *all* marking commands: don't move,
move to the next/previous message, move to the next/previous unread
message.  Currently, different commands behave in different ways.)

kai
--
I like _\bb_\bo_\bt_\bh kinds of music.

* Re: Movement commands
@ 1999-03-02 15:02 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-03-02 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

> (By orthogonality I mean that it should be possible to specify the
> following movement behaviors for *all* marking commands: don't move,
> move to the next/previous message, move to the next/previous unread
> message.  Currently, different commands behave in different ways.)

Well, that's doable.  For instance:

'(("d" next-unread)
  ("D" prev)
  ("E" no-move)
  )

(Or something.)

But what should `45 E' do, then?  Since `E' doesn't move, should
`45 E' mark the same article as expirable 45 times?

And if we cover the marking commands this way, shouldn't the selection
commands also be covered?

`((" " select-next-unread)
  ("\r" no-move)
  )

I want SPC to go to the next group if I tap `SPC' on the last bit of
the last article in a group, but not otherwise, and how does one
specify that?

* Re: Movement commands
@ 1999-03-02 15:52   ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-03-02 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > Well, that's doable.  For instance:
  >
  > '(("d" next-unread)
  >   ("D" prev)
  >   ("E" no-move)
  >   )

That's not what I meant.  I meant that for every mark foo, there
should be the following five commands: gnus-summary-mark-as-foo,
gnus-summary-mark-as-foo-next-unread, gnus-summary-mark-as-foo-next,
and I'm sure you can guess the other two :-)

It would be a bonus if there were keybindings, as well.

The user should be able to choose any one of these five behaviors for
the `default' key (that would be `d' for marking as read and `u' or
maybe `!' ticking, and so on).  (A simple define-key would be
sufficient for me, but you can do fancy stuff like defining a sixth
command gnus-summary-mark-as-foo-default-movement which depends on a
customizable variable to decide what to do.)

What do you think?
kai
--

@ 1999-03-02 15:54   ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-03-02 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > But what should `45 E' do, then?  Since `E' doesn't move, should
  > `45 E' mark the same article as expirable 45 times?

See my previous message.  A prefix argument doesn't really make sense
for the non-moving variants.  But maybe gnus-summary-mark-as-foo-next
should mark the next N articles and move forward N articles; wherwas
gnus-summary-mark-as-foo-dont-move should mark N articles and move
forward N-1 articles?  Hm.

kai

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-03-06 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

> That's not what I meant.  I meant that for every mark foo, there
> should be the following five commands: gnus-summary-mark-as-foo,
> gnus-summary-mark-as-foo-next-unread, gnus-summary-mark-as-foo-next,
> and I'm sure you can guess the other two :-)

Oh; right.  Hm.  That's quite a bunch of commands.  But it would give
people an opportunity to customize these things themselves.

Ok; I'm adding this to 0.81.