* Customizing MIME
@ 1999-01-18 20:45 Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-01-18 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

What is the easiest way to tell Gnus to display `application/x-patch'
just like `text/plain' (but perhaps without inlining by default.)

* Re: Customizing MIME
@ 1999-01-19 23:42 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-01-19 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> What is the easiest way to tell Gnus to display `application/x-patch'
> just like `text/plain' (but perhaps without inlining by default.)

Good question.

I don't really understand what I've done in this area.  :-)

Ok; we have the mailcap things, which work as supposed.  But in
addition, we have the following variables, which seems wrong:

1) mm-inline-media-tests
This contains tests for whether something can be displayed inline, and
if so, what function should be used.  Why isn't this just part of
mailcap-mime-data?

2) mm-user-display-methods
This is even more confusing.  It says what types to really, really
display inline if the previous variable allows is.  I think this
variable should be ditched.

3) mm-user-automatic-display
This variable says what types to really, really, really display
automatically.  I think such a variable is necessary, but isn't this a
user interface thing, so it should be gnus-mime-automatic-display?

Comments?

But to answer your question, after doing these changes, the way to
tell Gnus this would be to something your .mailcap file.  But that
something should be mm-inline-text, and how do you say that in the
mailcap file?

Or perhaps:

(mailcap-add-mailcap-entry "application" "x-patch"
			    '((viewer . mm-inline-text)
			      (test . t)
			      (type . "application/x-patch")))

But perhaps there should be a new interface to add stuff like that:

(mailcap-add "application/x-patch" 'mm-inline-text)

I've added the latter to 0.72.

* Re: Customizing MIME
@ 1999-01-20  7:58   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-01-20  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (mailcap-add-mailcap-entry "application" "x-patch"
> 			    '((viewer . mm-inline-text)
> 			      (test . t)
> 			      (type . "application/x-patch")))
>
> But perhaps there should be a new interface to add stuff like that:
>
> (mailcap-add "application/x-patch" 'mm-inline-text)
>
> I've added the latter to 0.72.

This looks useful; thanks.  It would be fun if there was a way to
fetch the entire "description" for a type without actually naming the
implementor, so that you can say "display this as you would display
text", or something like that.

Having to spell out obviously implementation-specific symbols like
`mm-inline-text' seems wrong.

* Re: Customizing MIME
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-01-21 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> This looks useful; thanks.  It would be fun if there was a way to
> fetch the entire "description" for a type without actually naming the
> implementor, so that you can say "display this as you would display
> text", or something like that.

Well, that sounds sensible, but I don't know whether that would really
be all that useful.  Most things will be specified in the .mailcap
files, and for the elisp viewers, one probably knows what the name of
the viewer is.

> Having to spell out obviously implementation-specific symbols like
> `mm-inline-text' seems wrong.

It's not a function specific to anything other than the general MIME
library...

* Re: Customizing MIME
@ 1999-01-21 13:55       ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-01-21 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Having to spell out obviously implementation-specific symbols like
> > `mm-inline-text' seems wrong.
>
> It's not a function specific to anything other than the general MIME
> library...

Exactly.  But is it documented as a part of the *interface* (as
opposed to implementation) of that library?

* Re: Customizing MIME
@ 1999-01-23  8:20         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-01-23  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> > It's not a function specific to anything other than the general MIME
> > library...
>
> Exactly.  But is it documented as a part of the *interface* (as
> opposed to implementation) of that library?

Those functions aren't part of the interface of the MIME library per
se, but I think I'm going to document those functions as utility
functions.