* gnus-article-treat-dumbquotes breaks russian
@ 1998-12-04 15:59 John H Palmieri
From: John H Palmieri @ 1998-12-04 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

GNU Emacs 20.3.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1, X toolkit) of Thu Aug 27
1998 on darwin

Pterodactyl Gnus v0.63

Until today, I couldn't read Russian characters in gnus, and I just
figured out the reason: I had gnus-article-treat-dumbquotes in my
gnus-article-display-hook.  Is this a bug or something about GNU Emacs
Mule support that can't be avoided?

(gnus-article-treat-dumbquotes also breaks Czech, Polish, Slovak,
Thai, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, GB, JIS, KSC, and the 'test of JISX0212',
at least as far as the Hello file goes.)

--
John H. Palmieri
e-mail: palmieri.2@nd.edu        URL:http://www.nd.edu/~jpalmier/

"What part of GNU don't you understand?"

* Re: gnus-article-treat-dumbquotes breaks russian
@ 1998-12-05 15:56 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-12-05 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

John H Palmieri <John.H.Palmieri.2@nd.edu> writes:

> Until today, I couldn't read Russian characters in gnus, and I just
> figured out the reason: I had gnus-article-treat-dumbquotes in my
> gnus-article-display-hook.  Is this a bug or something about GNU Emacs
> Mule support that can't be avoided?

It's neither.  That command guesses whether something is a MS
smartquote and translates based on that guess.  So having the function
in you display hook is not a good idea.

I've now made a note of this in the documentation.