From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: Downloading problems
Date: 01 Apr 1998 06:57:56 -0800	[thread overview]

> > Mine come up the other way around.  With .el files showing newer than
> > byte compiled files and causes gnus to load the 'newer'.el files at
> > times.
>
> So the .el files have timestamps that are in the future?

Yes, At least in relation to my machine.  This happened with a couple of
the later quassia releases.  I only noticed it accidently by looking at
the messages buffer where there were messages saying gnus was loading .el
files because they were newer.  Rather than get too involved figuring out
what was what, I just 'touched the .elc files and the messages went
away.

May have been related to having my machine time setup incorrectly.
Some time in the recent past I did do some tinkering with time
configurations.   And as with all aspects of Linux, I didn't know what I
was doing very well, so botched it up several times.  Not sure if this
might be related though.

Sorry I didn't check into it further.  Once I discovered 'touching' .elc
files fixed it, I felt I was swamped enough with trying to learn all
this other new stuff.  At any rate it hasn't happened again since about
quassia 35 or so.

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com