* gnus-fetch-old-headers, big groups and old marks
@ 2011-11-02 23:35 Philipp Haselwarter
From: Philipp Haselwarter @ 2011-11-02 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I set gnus-verbose to 10 for some testing and was quite surprised to see
some 4000kB being fetched when I entered gmane.emacs.orgmode .

It seems that when gnus-fetch-old-headers is non-nil it fetches old
headers for ticked messages, which makes it practically unusable for big
groups.  Wouldn't it be nicer if gnus started by fetching "old" headers
for the most recent articles of the group (ie especially the unread
ones) and stop once as many as specified in gnus-fetch-old-headers are
retrieved?
I guess the current strategy is somehow based on the oldest article and
tries to fetch everything with one connection to keep things
efficient. However, for me this strategy means I have to turn this neat
feature off :/
Can you Make It Work™?

--
Philipp Haselwarter

* Re: gnus-fetch-old-headers, big groups and old marks
@ 2011-11-03 22:16 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-11-03 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philipp Haselwarter; +Cc: ding

Philipp Haselwarter <philipp.haselwarter@gmx.de> writes:

> It seems that when gnus-fetch-old-headers is non-nil it fetches old
> headers for ticked messages, which makes it practically unusable for big
> groups.

If you have ticked articles, then this is what `gnus-fetch-old-headers'
is supposed to do.  As you note, this means that Gnus will be fetching a
buttload of headers if you have a wide spread of them, but I don't think
there's much to be done about that...

* Re: gnus-fetch-old-headers, big groups and old marks
@ 2011-11-04  0:15   ` Philipp Haselwarter
From: Philipp Haselwarter @ 2011-11-04  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

No trivial way to get gnus to ignore ticked messages in this context?
Most of the time those ticked messages are just bookmarks and I don't
care about having contextual headers for them.

--
Philipp Haselwarter