* Buttonizing and piping included HTML
@ 2003-12-07 18:23 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2003-12-07 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have some ancient code in my .gnus.el that I wrote to buttonize HTML
message parts, and then to pipe that code through a program of my choice
for display, if and only if I select that button.

I don't like to depend on home-grown code that might eventually go out
of date, so I'm wondering if there's now a recommended way to do this in
the latest Gnus.

Note that I don't want to use `gnus-treat-wash-html', since I never want
to see any HTML parts unless I specifically select them when viewing the
message.  Buttonizing works well for this purpose.

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Buttonizing and piping included HTML
@ 2003-12-07 21:28 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-12-07 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Dec 07 2003, Lloyd Zusman wrote:

> Note that I don't want to use `gnus-treat-wash-html', since I never want
> to see any HTML parts unless I specifically select them when viewing the
> message.  Buttonizing works well for this purpose.

This discourages some alternative types and prevents display of
text/html-only messages.

;; don't display html inline
(setq
 mm-discouraged-alternatives
 '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched" "multipart/related")
 ;; `remove' is new in emacs-21 ...
 mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display))

Instead, I see a button (plus the html source) and may render it using
mouse-2 or RET twice.  I use "emacs-w3m" for rendering:

(setq
 mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m
 ;; Use wget instead of url.el (for nnweb-type google), seems to work more
 ;; reliable.
 mm-url-use-external t
 mm-url-program 'wget)

Those variables should be described in (info "(emacs-mime)Top").

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Buttonizing and piping included HTML
@ 2003-12-08 13:25   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2003-12-08 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 07 2003, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
>
>> Note that I don't want to use `gnus-treat-wash-html', since I never want
>> to see any HTML parts unless I specifically select them when viewing the
>> message.  Buttonizing works well for this purpose.
>
> This discourages some alternative types and prevents display of
> text/html-only messages.
>
> ;; don't display html inline
> (setq
>  mm-discouraged-alternatives
>  '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched" "multipart/related")
>  ;; `remove' is new in emacs-21 ...
>  mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display))
>
> Instead, I see a button (plus the html source) and may render it using
> mouse-2 or RET twice.  I use "emacs-w3m" for rendering:

Thank you.

What's the recommended method for never displaying the HTML source
by default, and only showing the button?

> Those variables should be described in (info "(emacs-mime)Top").
>
> Bye, Reiner.

I'll go there.  Thanks.

--
 Lloyd Zusman