* daemon doesn't start
@ 2003-05-14 13:00 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2003-05-14 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Platform: Intel PIII, debian testing/unstable (sarge)
	  XEmacs 21.4 (patch 8),
	  Oort Gnus v0.19

I've put the following into my ~/.gnus.el:

;; Autoscan all servers every 5 minutes when idle
(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-news 5 t)

I've then stopped and started Gnus, but no daemon seems to be
running.  The article count in the *Group* buffer doesn't change,
before I do a manual `g', and all servers need opening during the
manual `g'.

Do I need to start the daemon from somewhere?

The last time I used daemon, I started it with
(setq gnus-use-demon t)

But that variable doesn't seem to be present anymore.  At least grep
didn't find it in the lisp directory.

Thanx!

- Steinar

* Re: daemon doesn't start
@ 2003-05-15  7:10 ` Niklas Morberg
From: Niklas Morberg @ 2003-05-15  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> ;; Autoscan all servers every 5 minutes when idle
> (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-demon-scan-news 5 t)

You might want to consider a larger value than 5 here. It
has nothing to do with the problems you are seeing, though.

> I've then stopped and started Gnus, but no daemon seems to be
> running.  The article count in the *Group* buffer doesn't change,
> before I do a manual `g', and all servers need opening during the
> manual `g'.

I don't think gnus-demon-scan-news updates the group buffer.
I'm sure that gnus-demon-scan-mail does not. Are you sure it
has not been run?

> Do I need to start the daemon from somewhere?

`C-h i d m gnus <RET> m daemons <RET>' says:

   If you add handlers to `gnus-demon-handlers' directly,
   you should run `gnus-demon-init' to make the changes take
   hold.  To cancel all daemons, you can use the
   `gnus-demon-cancel' function.

But in your case you are adding the daemons with the
g-d-a-h function, so it should not be necessary. My guess
is that the demon is working, but since it is not updating
the group buffer you can't see it.

Niklas

* Re: daemon doesn't start
@ 2003-05-15  8:09   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2003-05-15  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I don't think gnus-demon-scan-news updates the group buffer.  I'm
> sure that gnus-demon-scan-mail does not.

I've been looking at the code, ie.

(defun gnus-demon-scan-news ()
  (let ((win (current-window-configuration)))
    (unwind-protect
	(save-window-excursion
	  (save-excursion
	    (when (gnus-alive-p)
	      (save-excursion
		(set-buffer gnus-group-buffer)
		(gnus-group-get-new-news)))))
      (set-window-configuration win))))

This should update the *Group* buffer, shouldn't it?

Ie. as far as I can tell, it saves the window config, then goes to the
*Group* buffer and does a `g', and then it changes the window
configuration back to the way it was.

> Are you sure it has not been run?

No.  Is there a way to find out if it has been run?

[snip!]
> But in your case you are adding the daemons with the g-d-a-h
> function, so it should not be necessary. My guess is that the demon
> is working, but since it is not updating the group buffer you can't
> see it.

Hm... if it doesn't update the *Group* buffer, there doesn't seem to
be much use for this function...?

I seem to remember that it used to do so, when I last used it

* Re: daemon doesn't start
@ 2003-05-15 10:31     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2003-05-15 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I don't think gnus-demon-scan-news updates the group buffer.  I'm
>> sure that gnus-demon-scan-mail does not.

[snip!]
> Hm... if it doesn't update the *Group* buffer, there doesn't seem to
> be much use for this function...?

> I seem to remember that it used to do so, when I last used it

I did a CVS update, and then it started working.

gnus-demon-scan-news updates the *Group* buffer.