From: prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc)
Subject: Re: NOV code in Gnus
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 21:16:15 -0500	[thread overview]

Jan Rychter <jan@rychter.com> wrote:
> Say I'd like to provide another implementation for storing NOV data.

So that you could, e.g, use nnml as your mail backend, but make it
store NOV data differently than it does now, is that right?

> there are many functions that assume that it's just going to be text
> files.

"Assume" suggests that it would make sense for a user to try to use a
different format, and that the code is at fault if it can't deal with
that.  I'm not aware of any assumptions in that sense; the backends
aren't designed to accommodate that use, and the user is at fault if
they try it.  That said, it might be nice if the design were changed.
I don't know whether it would really be worthwhile, though.  Maybe.

paul