* Use Gcc whenever message-mail is called
@ 1999-10-06 16:46 Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-10-06 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey Gang,

I have tried this a few different ways and have never been successful.  I
want to make sure message inserts the Gcc header whenever Gnus is an active
package.

I tried something like this:
;; This simply adds GCC stuff to messages when Gnus is alive.
(add-hook 'message-header-setup-hook
	  '(lambda ()
	     (if (featurep 'gnus)
		 (gnus-inews-insert-archive-gcc))))

But this never seems to work quite right.

There is no problem if I am calling message-mail from a gnus function like
gnus-group-mail or gnus-summary-mail*.  But when I call plain old
message-mail, I can't get the Gcc header to pop up.

Any ideas?

--
Jack Vinson
Bart: I will finish what I sta_.

* Re: Use Gcc whenever message-mail is called
@ 1999-11-06  3:57 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-06  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Vinson <vinson@unagi.cis.upenn.edu> writes:

> I tried something like this:
> ;; This simply adds GCC stuff to messages when Gnus is alive.
> (add-hook 'message-header-setup-hook
> 	  '(lambda ()
> 	     (if (featurep 'gnus)
> 		 (gnus-inews-insert-archive-gcc))))
>
> But this never seems to work quite right.
>
> There is no problem if I am calling message-mail from a gnus function like
> gnus-group-mail or gnus-summary-mail*.  But when I call plain old
> message-mail, I can't get the Gcc header to pop up.

This is weird.  That hook seems to be run by all the message-*
commands.  Are you sure?

* Re: Use Gcc whenever message-mail is called
@ 1999-11-15  3:34   ` Rob Browning
From: Rob Browning @ 1999-11-15  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This is weird.  That hook seems to be run by all the message-*
> commands.  Are you sure?

To fully unify Gnus and message-mode (so I'd get my gnus
customizations no matter how I entered message mode -- i.e. even via
C-x m), I did the following in my *emacs* startup file, not my gnus
file.  This makes sure that gnus is always alive when using
message-mode.

  (require 'message)
  (require 'gnus-msg)

  (define-mail-user-agent 'gnus-user-agent
    'gnus-mail 'message-send-and-exit
    'message-kill-buffer 'message-send-hook)

  (defun gnus-mail (&rest args)
    "Start editing a mail message to be sent gnus style.
  Use message mode as the underlying agent."
    (unless (and (fboundp 'gnus-alive-p) (gnus-alive-p))
      (gnus-no-server)
      (gnus-group-suspend))
    (gnus-setup-message 'message (apply 'message-mail args)))

  (setq mail-user-agent 'gnus-user-agent)