From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
Subject: Re: [Eli Zaretskii <eliz@is.elta.co.il>] Gnus setup with non-ASCII characters
Date: 27 Aug 1999 23:53:41 +0200	[thread overview]

> No, no.  ß is a non-ASCII character, and Eli was talking about this
> character appearing _literally_ in the From header.  I think.  It's
> been some time ago...

Oh -- but your ß is beautifully encoded, isn't it?  :-)

> So, for the body we have the Content-type header which can specify the
> charset used.  But what if there's a non-ASCII character in the
> _header_?  What charset should we assume there?

We should only have ascii there (in mail), since anything else is
invalid.

I used to waffle on this point, but I think that virtually all mail
readers people use now grok at least a subset of rfc2047.  And you
never know what charset the recipient is using, so you can't "just
send 8bit", because then the recipient can't display the message
properly.  (For instance, when sending mail from Norway to Israel, the
"default charset" on each side is likely to be different, and it is
necessary to mark what charset one has used.)

> Does Gnus ever produce non-ASCII characters in the headers?

In mail, no, in news, yes.