* Re: password with an ^
       [not found] <m3zp3icuas.fsf@serpent.laymusic.>
@ 1999-05-06 13:44 ` Felix Lee
From: Felix Lee @ 1999-05-06 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

lconrad@world.std.com:
> My password on my isp includes a ^ in the middle. When I attempt to
> post with a line for the newsserver in my .authinfo, the *nntp-log*

gnus-parse-netrc (which also parses .authinfo) thinks ^ is
punctuation.

Try adding this to your .gnus file:

    (modify-syntax-entry ?^ "w" gnus-netrc-syntax-table)

Footnote: I'm not really sure why gnus-parse-netrc uses a
syntax table.  afaik, .netrc files are just tokens separated
by whitespace and no punctuation is significant.

* Re: password with an ^
@ 1999-06-12 23:06   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-06-12 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Felix Lee <flee@teleport.com> writes:

> Footnote: I'm not really sure why gnus-parse-netrc uses a
> syntax table.

Me neither.

> afaik, .netrc files are just tokens separated by whitespace and no
> punctuation is significant.

Yup.  I've now rewritten the function to just look for whitespace.

* Re: password with an ^
       [not found] <199905061348.AA26470@world.std.com>
@ 1999-05-07  2:31 ` lconrad
From: lconrad @ 1999-05-07  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Felix> lconrad@world.std.com:
    >> My password on my isp includes a ^ in the middle. When I
    >> attempt to post with a line for the newsserver in my .authinfo,
    >> the *nntp-log*

    Felix> gnus-parse-netrc (which also parses .authinfo) thinks ^ is
    Felix> punctuation.

    Felix> Try adding this to your .gnus file:

    Felix>     (modify-syntax-entry ?^ "w" gnus-netrc-syntax-table)

Thanks, that seems to work.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@world.std.com , http://www.world.std.com/~lconrad/ )
(617) 661-8097

* password with an ^
@ 1999-05-06 11:27 lconrad
From: lconrad @ 1999-05-06 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: crashes

My password on my isp includes a ^ in the middle. When I attempt to
post with a line for the newsserver in my .authinfo, the *nntp-log*
file says:

19990506T070119.451 news.std.com POST
19990506T070119.773 news.std.com AUTHINFO USER lconrad
19990506T070120.070 news.std.com AUTHINFO PASS nek

where nek is the part of the password before the ^.  I get the message
"Denied server".

I have tried enclosing the password in single quotes, which are
treated as part of the password.  I have also tried putting a \ before
the ^, which causes output similar to the above.

Do I have to change my password?

When I don't have a line for news.std.com in my .authinfo file, I can
post interactively.

Bug report: when I use the batch agent with the .authinfo file, xemacs
crashes with the message below.  I haven't managed to find where the
corefile gets dropped.  The line I'm using to invoke it from my
ip-up.local script is:

su -c "/usr/local/xemacs/usr/bin/xemacs -batch -l ~gnus/.emacs -f gnus-agent-batch 2>/tmp/xemacs-batch.log </dev/null" lconrad

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@world.std.com , http://www.world.std.com/~lconrad/ )
(617) 661-8097
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139
-------------------------------------------------xemacs-batch.log---
Wrote /home/lconrad/.newsrc-dribble
Reading /home/lconrad/.newsrc.eld...
Reading active file from news.std.com via nntp...
Reading active file from private via nnml...
Opening nnml server on private...

nnml: Reading incoming mail from file...
nnml: Reading incoming mail (0 new)...done
Reading active file from private via nnml...
Reading active file from private via nnml...done
3 new newsgroups have arrived
Checking new news...
Opening nndraft server...

Checking new news...done
Parsing /home/lconrad/.mailrc...
Parsing /home/lconrad/.mailrc... done
Fatal error (11).
Your files have been auto-saved.
Use `M-x recover-session' to recover them.

Please report this bug by running the send-pr script included
with XEmacs, or selecting `Send Bug Report' from the help menu.
As a last resort send ordinary email to `crashes@xemacs.org'.
*MAKE SURE* to include as much configuration information as
possible; at the very least what OS and hardware you are running
on, and hopefully also what compiler and compiler options the
binary was compiled with, what options XEmacs was compiled with,
whether you are using a prebuilt binary from ftp.xemacs.org or
compiled XEmacs yourself for your system, etc.

If at all possible, *please* try to obtain a C stack backtrace;
it will help us immensely in determining what went wrong.
To do this, locate the core file that was produced as a result
of this crash (it's usually called `core' and is located in the
directory in which you started XEmacs, or maybe in your home
directory), and type

  gdb /usr/local/xemacs/usr/bin/xemacs core

then type `where' when the debugger prompt comes up.
(If you don't have GDB on your system, you might have DBX,
or XDB, or SDB.  A similar procedure should work for all of
these.  Ask your system administrator if you need more help.)

Lisp backtrace follows:

  delete-other-windows()
  # (unwind-protect ...)
  # bind (frame split all-visible force setting)
  gnus-configure-windows(forward t)
  # bind (gnus-setup-message-winconf gnus-setup-message-buffer gnus-setup-message-article gnus-setup-message-group message-header-setup-hook message-mode-hook group narticle)
  gnus-draft-setup(1 "nndraft:queue")
  # bind (interactive group article)
  gnus-draft-send(1)
  # bind (articles unsendable article)
  # (unwind-protect ...)
  gnus-group-send-drafts()
  gnus-agent-batch()
  # bind (arg)
  command-line-do-funcall("-f")
  # bind (dir file-count line end-of-options first-file-buffer file-p arg tem)
  command-line-1()
  # bind (command-line-args-left)
  command-line()
  # (unwind-protect ...)