* Agent is no longer working for my main news server
@ 1999-04-20 16:09 matteau
From: matteau @ 1999-04-20 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am running pgnus 0.80 with NT emacs 20.3.1 and heavily into agent. I am
regularly connected to 3 different news servers and up to a few days ago,
the agent was working fine with all three servers.

I was having problem with one of the news server as the name servers keep
losing knowledge of my machine (a separate problem between DHCP on NT and a
DHCP server running on AIX but I digress)... I was told that I could
identify with the tornews server via authinfo and then I would be able to
access the server even if the nameservers don't know me. So I read the
documentation and ended up adding the following lines (actually only the
"(nntp-authinfo-function)") to my .gnus:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "tornews.torolab.ibm.com"
                    (nntp-authinfo-function)))

Since then, I can connect to tornews and read newsgroup when I am plugged.
When I go in unplugged mode, it stills try to connect to the server for
this server only. It also no longer download this server's articles into
agent. My server buffer looks like:

     {nnfolder:archive} (closed)
     {nnspool:cache} (closed)
     {nntp:tornews.torolab.ibm.com} (opened)
     {nntp:news.software.ibm.com} (opened)
     {nntp:msnews.microsoft.com} (opened)
     {nndraft:} (opened)
     {nntp:tornews.torolab.ibm.com} (opened)

Is it normal that tornews is there twice? What can I do to fix this?

P.S. As an aside, is this the proper way to use authinfo so that the
content of ~/.authinfo will be sent to the news server only if it requests
it?

Thanks...

Rene

* Re: Agent is no longer working for my main news server
@ 1999-06-12  2:29 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-06-12  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

matteau@ca.ibm.com writes:

> Since then, I can connect to tornews and read newsgroup when I am plugged.
> When I go in unplugged mode, it stills try to connect to the server for
> this server only. It also no longer download this server's articles into
> agent.

This sounds like the Agent doesn't think it should cover the new
server.  Have you done `J a' to add the new server to the Agent?