* Mighty SGMLin' MIME Power
@ 1998-11-14 15:38 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-14 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Or

<alternative>
<part charset="iso-8859-1">
This is plaïn.
<part type=text/enriched?
This is clearly not plain.
<part type=image/gif external="~/rms.gif">
</alterntive>

The nice thing about this is that more people know HTML than TeXinfo.
(No, that's not a nice thing per se, but, like.)

Besides, that means that one can just do

<part type=image/gif external="~/rms.gif"></part>

to include an image in the middle of a text piece.  (Yes, we do end
tag minimization (or whatever it's called).)  And parts that aren't
explicitly marked are text/plain, and stuff.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Mighty SGMLin' MIME Power
@ 1998-11-16 15:02 ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 1998-11-16 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Norman Walsh

/ Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> was heard to say:
| <alternative>
| <part charset="iso-8859-1">
| This is plaïn.

This is fine, as long as you remember to escape &lt; and &amp;

| <part type=text/enriched?
| This is clearly not plain.

Did you mean: <part type="text/enriched?">?

| <part type=image/gif external="~/rms.gif">

Ack.  Quote them attvals, and use empty-tag syntax if the tag's empty:

  <part type="image/gif" external="~/rms.gif"/>

| </alterntive>

| to include an image in the middle of a text piece.  (Yes, we do end
| tag minimization (or whatever it's called).)  And parts that aren't
| explicitly marked are text/plain, and stuff.

IMHO, this is insanity if you aren't going to (1) make the
content XML not SGML (it's not necessarily right, but, eh.) and
(2) make the whole thing well formed (in the XML sense).

                                        Cheers,
                                          norm
--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | The eternal mystery of the world
http://nwalsh.com/                 | is its comprehensibility.--A.
                                   | Einstien

* Re: Mighty SGMLin' MIME Power
@ 1998-11-17 11:34   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-11-17 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> | <part type=text/enriched?
> | This is clearly not plain.
>
> Did you mean: <part type="text/enriched?">?

Not necessarily.  We may say that "/" is a word-constituent character
in MML, if we want...