* Re: Incoming* files
@ 1998-10-28  0:19 ` Jeremy D. Zawodny
From: Jeremy D. Zawodny @ 1998-10-28  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Maciej Matysiak <phoner@blah.pl> writes:

> phoner@ogryzek~/Mail/ ls Incoming* |wc -l
>    6920
>
> what are  those files? it seems  it's all my mail  since i started
> using pgnus. can i simply  delete them? all the incoming should be
> simply split into few groups (and it is in fact).

Using nnmail? Try putting this in your .gnus:

(setq nnmail-delete-incoming t)

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny                Web Geek, Perl Hacker, etc.
http://www.wcnet.org/~jzawodn/   jzawodn@wcnet.org

LOAD "LINUX",8,1

* Re: Incoming* files
@ 1998-10-28  0:46   ` Maciej Matysiak
From: Maciej Matysiak @ 1998-10-28  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

jzawodn@wcnet.org (Jeremy D. Zawodny) writes:

> Using nnmail?

for splitting? yes. i have
   (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy [...])
in my .gnus

> Try putting this in your .gnus:
> (setq nnmail-delete-incoming t)

thanx. i assume, i can delete those files from Mail/ as well?

m.m.
--
 use gnus not guns!

* Re: Incoming* files
@ 1998-10-28  0:58     ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1998-10-28  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciej Matysiak <phoner@blah.pl> writes:

> > (setq nnmail-delete-incoming t)
>
> thanx. i assume, i can delete those files from Mail/ as well?

Yes.  The purpose of that setting, and its default to 't, is that you
are using an _alpha_ release of Gnus.  Keeping the Incoming* files
gives one a bit of safety in case a rogue Gnus release eats mail.

-Justin

* Re: Incoming* files
@ 1998-10-28  1:05       ` Chris Tessone
From: Chris Tessone @ 1998-10-28  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Justin> Yes.  The purpose of that setting, and its default to 't,
    Justin> is that you are using an _alpha_ release of Gnus.  Keeping
    Justin> the Incoming* files gives one a bit of safety in case a
    Justin> rogue Gnus release eats mail.

Exactly. Which is why I don't let Gnus delete incoming mail and do so
by cron job every two days or so instead. :-)

--
I know who you are... You're one of those TREKKIES, aren't you!

* Incoming* files
@ 1998-10-28  1:06 Maciej Matysiak
From: Maciej Matysiak @ 1998-10-28  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,

i got worried a little bit about my Mail/ directory:

drwxr-xr-x  18 phoner   users      168960 Oct 28 01:52 Mail/

huge, isn't it? that's the reason:

phoner@ogryzek~/Mail/ ls Incoming* |wc -l
   6920

what are  those files? it seems  it's all my mail  since i started
using pgnus. can i simply  delete them? all the incoming should be
simply split into few groups (and it is in fact).

please plase tell me, it's growing ;)

maciek.m.
--
 use gnus not guns!

* Re: Incoming* files
@ 1998-10-28  1:43       ` Maciej Matysiak
From: Maciej Matysiak @ 1998-10-28  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Justin Sheehy <justin@linus.mitre.org> writes:

> > thanx. i assume, i can delete those files from Mail/ as well?
>
> Yes.  The  purpose of  that setting, and  its default to  't, is
> that  you are  using an  _alpha_ release  of Gnus.   Keeping the
> Incoming* files gives  one a bit of safety in  case a rogue Gnus
> release eats mail.

i wish i knew that before :)
 42055   ./Mail
and only 10260 in folders, the rest in 6k+ Incoming files ;)

thank you again.

m.m.
--
 use gnus not guns!

* Re: Incoming* files
@ 1998-10-28  1:44     ` Jeremy D. Zawodny
From: Jeremy D. Zawodny @ 1998-10-28  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Maciej Matysiak <phoner@blah.pl> writes:

> > Try putting this in your .gnus:
> > (setq nnmail-delete-incoming t)
>
> thanx. i assume, i can delete those files from Mail/ as well?

Yes, after you understand the cautions that others have posted in
response here.

Jeremy