From: Bruce Stephens <bruce@cenderis.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [patch] `gnus-agent-fetch-heades' (again)
Date: 29 Aug 1998 17:40:32 +0100	[thread overview]

Mike McEwan <mike@lotusland.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Well I'm coming to understand a little more now :-). Following my
> last patch (Lars, at least you added a check to see that we actually
> have a `gnus-agent-article-alist') I attempted to subscribe to a new
> newsgroup, but not having a .agentview initially `~fetch-headers'
> does not select any articles :-(.

Whew!  I thought it might just be me having some problems.  Mostly,
agent works just fine, but just recently (5.6.40 or so) it seems to be
ignoring a newsgroup altogether.

This newsgroup is moderated, so it's intermittent; in fact, when I
checked the directory, all of the articles had expired---but there
were new ones yesterday.  The agent just ignored them.  So, I thought
maybe just deleting the relevant directory, unsubscribing and
resubscribing, sacrificing the right number of chickens, and similar
things would work.  Clearly not, and stepping through the code leaves
me utterly confused as to how the agent is ever supposed to notice new
articles to download.

Also, killing groups hasn't worked for some time.  If you have a group
which has had articles in it (retrieved by the agent), and you kill
the group, then the next time you expire articles, gnus crashes.
Removing all knowledge of the group (by deleting lines from
agent.lib/history) seems to fix it.