* auth-source unnecessary prompting
@ 2011-02-20  5:44 nyc4bos
From: nyc4bos @ 2011-02-20  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I like the way that auth-sources is evolving and
would like to make a suggestion:

I think that it should not prompt for information
that was already defined.

In my `gnus-secondary-select-methods' I already
define (nnimap-server-port 993) so I rather not
see the prompt:

Enter port for nyc4bos@:(143 993 imap imaps 993) (TAB to see the
choices):

It should just honor its value (or at least be configurable to
do so).

I DON'T want this entry to be in a .authinfo.gpg file, EVER, so
this means I have to type 993 evry time when I already defined
it as such.

Thanks.

* Re: auth-source unnecessary prompting
@ 2011-02-20 10:31 ` Vincent Bernat
From: Vincent Bernat @ 2011-02-20 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

OoO  En cette  fin de  nuit blanche  du dimanche  20 février  2011, vers
06:44, nyc4bos@aol.com disait :

> I like the way that auth-sources is evolving and
> would like to make a suggestion:

> I think that it should not prompt for information
> that was already defined.

> In my `gnus-secondary-select-methods' I already
> define (nnimap-server-port 993) so I rather not
> see the prompt:

> Enter port for nyc4bos@:(143 993 imap imaps 993) (TAB to see the
> choices):

> It should just honor its value (or at least be configurable to
> do so).

> I DON'T want this entry to be in a .authinfo.gpg file, EVER, so
> this means I have to type 993 evry time when I already defined
> it as such.

I  also share  this opinion.  Neither the  server prompt,  nor  the port
prompt is necessary. If possible, I would rather skip the proposition to
save my credentials into authinfo/authinfo.gpg.
--
#if 0
	2.2.16 /usr/src/linux/fs/buffer.c

* Re: auth-source unnecessary prompting
@ 2011-02-21  0:02 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-21  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

nyc4bos@aol.com writes:

> I think that it should not prompt for information
> that was already defined.

Ted is going to fix the prompts when he finds time.

* Re: auth-source unnecessary prompting
@ 2011-02-22 21:57   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-02-22 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 11:31:18 +0100 Vincent Bernat <bernat@luffy.cx> wrote:

VB> I  also share  this opinion.  Neither the  server prompt,  nor  the port
VB> prompt is necessary. If possible, I would rather skip the proposition to
VB> save my credentials into authinfo/authinfo.gpg.

I've gotten pretty close to what you want.  You can choose at this prompt:

"Add to file ~/.authinfo.gpg? (y)es/(n)o but use it/(e)dit line/(s)kip file:"

where picking ?n has that effect of "use but don't save it."

I'm not sure if we want a auth-source-create-behavior variable that can
be customized to 'nosaves, so it will be as if you always enter ?n at
the prompt above.  To me that seems an unnecessary refinement but if you
disagree please let me know.

Ted

* Re: auth-source unnecessary prompting
@ 2011-02-28 23:23     ` Vincent Bernat
From: Vincent Bernat @ 2011-02-28 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

OoO En cette  soirée bien amorcée du mardi 22  février 2011, vers 22:57,
Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> disait :

VB> I  also share  this opinion.  Neither the  server prompt,  nor  the port
VB> prompt is necessary. If possible, I would rather skip the proposition to
VB> save my credentials into authinfo/authinfo.gpg.

> I've gotten pretty close to what you want.  You can choose at this prompt:

> "Add to file ~/.authinfo.gpg? (y)es/(n)o but use it/(e)dit line/(s)kip file:"

> where picking ?n has that effect of "use but don't save it."

> I'm not sure if we want a auth-source-create-behavior variable that can
> be customized to 'nosaves, so it will be as if you always enter ?n at
> the prompt above.  To me that seems an unnecessary refinement but if you
> disagree please let me know.

The solution currently implemented is perfectly fine for me. Thanks!
--
 /* Nobody will ever see this message :-) */
panic("Cannot initialize video hardware\n");