* Debian's install-info
@ 2004-03-21 23:26 Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-03-21 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Does anyone know why does Gnus exclude Debian's install-info
program?  Here is an extract from the texi/Makefile.in file:

install: $(INFO_DEPS)
[...]
	@if $(SHELL) -c 'install-info --version | sed 1q | fgrep -s -v -i debian' >/dev/null 2>&1; then \

It seems to have been imported from the emacs-lisp-intro
package.  However, I couldn't find such a thing now in the Emacs
CVS head.  I got a doubt about it from a Debian user.  See the
following two threads:

http://thread.gmane.org/874qsl5ca5.fsf@deb02.jinr.ru
http://thread.gmane.org/yotlbrms9ubq.fsf@jpl.org

Regards,
--
Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>

* Re: Debian's install-info
@ 2004-03-23  0:25 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-03-23  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> Does anyone know why does Gnus exclude Debian's install-info
> program?  Here is an extract from the texi/Makefile.in file:
>
> install: $(INFO_DEPS)
> [...]
> 	@if $(SHELL) -c 'install-info --version | sed 1q | fgrep -s -v -i debian' >/dev/null 2>&1; then \

The newest version of automake/autoconf still produces something equivalent:

@if (install-info --version && \
     install-info --version 2>&1 | sed 1q | grep -i -v debian) >/dev/null 2>&1; then \

for a new project, so presumeably there is still a need for it.  I
don't know why, though.

* Re: Debian's install-info
@ 2004-03-23  1:54 ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 2004-03-23  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> Does anyone know why does Gnus exclude Debian's install-info
> program?  Here is an extract from the texi/Makefile.in file:

Debian uses an install-info program which is not compatible with the
GNU version.  Or, at least, used to.  There were some murmurings
about switching or making them compatible, but I don't believe
it's happened.

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - I am the rocks.

* Re: Debian's install-info
@ 2004-03-23  2:10   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-03-23  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The newest version of automake/autoconf still produces something equivalent:

> @if (install-info --version && \
>      install-info --version 2>&1 | sed 1q | grep -i -v debian) >/dev/null 2>&1; then \

> for a new project, so presumeably there is still a need for it.  I
> don't know why, though.

Thanks.  I also found many packages exclude Debian's install-info,
and what should be mentioned specially is the following ChangeLog
entry in glibc-2.3.2:

1997-07-15  Marcus G. Daniels  <marcus@cathcart.sysc.pdx.edu>

	* manual/Makefile (INSTALL_INFO): Introduce variable to override
	path to install-info for systems like Debian that have an
	install-info with a different command line interface from the
	canonical GNU texinfo version.

According to the manual/Makefile file, it seems necessary to
specify the section name to Debian's install-info program like:

install-info --info-dir=DIR --section '^Gnus:' 'Gnus:' ./gnus

Although Artiom Neganov wrote that the present install-info of
Debian works with the same command line arguments as the GNU
version, I leave the solution to Debian maintainers since I'm
not a Debian user.

;; I'll forward this message to Artiom Neganov and the emacs-w3m
;; list.
--

@ 2004-03-24  8:33   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-03-24  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:

> Debian uses an install-info program which is not compatible with the
> GNU version.  Or, at least, used to.  There were some murmurings
> about switching or making them compatible, but I don't believe
> it's happened.

Emacs (CVS version) invokes install-info in a way that does something
useful for both the GNU and Debian flavors.  I guess Gnus could do the
same.

WDYT?

Kai

* Re: Debian's install-info
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-05-16 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptyhost.emptydomain.de> writes:

> Emacs (CVS version) invokes install-info in a way that does something
> useful for both the GNU and Debian flavors.  I guess Gnus could do the
> same.
>
> WDYT?

Sounds like a good thing.  :-)