From: sigurd@12move.de (Karl Pflästerer)
Subject: Re: gnus-url-mailto broken on foo+bar@somewhere.invalid
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:43:25 +0200	[thread overview]

On 27 Aug 2003, Reiner Steib <- 4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 26 2003, Karl Pflästerer wrote:

>>     ;; Fixme: Do it like QP.
>>     (defun gnus-url-unhex-string (str &optional allow-newlines)
>>       "Remove %XX, embedded spaces, etc in a url.
>>     If optional second argument ALLOW-NEWLINES is non-nil, then allow the
>>     decoding of carriage returns and line feeds in the string, which is
>>     normally forbidden in URL encoding."

[...]
>> Two questions?
>> (a) What's meant with the comment?

> ShengHuo[1] changed the line like this:

> -  (setq str (or str ""))
> +  (setq str (or (mm-subst-char-in-string ?+ ?  str) ""))

> Wild guess: No error if `str' is nil?  The comment was added later; I
> couldn't find a ChangeLog entry for it.

Sorry I was not clear enough.  I meant the first comment `Fixme ..'.
What's meant here?  If we change something maybe we could do it right
and follow the hint of that comment (as dark as it may be at the
moment).

>> (b) What is the substitution good for?

> The reason AFAICS are info URLs like <info://gnus/Starting+Up>.  It
> has been introduced along with this ChangeLog entry (see patch
> below[1]):

If that would be the only reason it should be easy to solve as it's
(X)Emacs internal.
But according to <m3d6erjpi3.fsf@seneca.benny.turtle-trading.net> there
may be other reasons.  Can someone shed some light on this?

   KP

--
Männer der Wissenschaft! Man sagt ihr viele nach,
aber die meisten mit Unrecht.