* Hiding of -----original message----- citations?
@ 2000-03-22 18:39 Andreas Fuchs
       [not found] ` <wtnhfdyennv.fsf@licia.dtek.chalmers.se>
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2000-03-22 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way to accomplish this? IIRC, the format for this sick(IMO)
way of quoting is:
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2000-03-23 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22 Mar 2000 21:48:52 +0100, Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> said:
> I don't know how and where to implement this but a really nice feature
> would be to swicth order, remove the quoted .sig and do some other
> cleaning of the article.

Yes, but this is highly non-trivial. If I understood gnus's washing
methods correctly, the message is parsed on a per-line basis, which
means that with a format like this:

Message
^original-messsage-marker$
Message
^sig-delimiter$
Signature
^often-wrong-sig-delimiter$
Signature

and Outlook, which, IIRC, does not even use quote-prefixes (> or
similar) by default, you stand no chance to actually get it right,
because it is just not clear which line (after the
original-message-marker) belongs to which message.

> Inserting a text before the message refering the poster to RFC1855
> (the netiquette) and
> <URL:http://www.math.fu-berlin.de/~guckes/message/editing.html> would
> also be nice.

Phew. I was not making myself clear in the first place: I was talking
about hiding it only when reading the article, not when Replying to
it. But it would be practical to also have it when replying and
following up.

(BTW: I have found http://learn.to/quote (german only, sorry) highly
helpful in this matter, it is not only easier to type than the above
URL, it also gets the message across[1] (-:)

> /Jonas, who has battled many wars against the lusers.

I trust you were victorious (-8

[1] although someone really should translate it. (I can't volunteer,
    too much work in school at the moment)[2]
[2] BTW, is there a way to get xemacs's footnote-mode working in
    Gnumacs? I have tried the 1.12 version in the packages/ directory,
    but it crashed emacs (abort signal) when trying to rotate
    styles. Inserting footnotes did not work, too: it tried to access
    a negative list index (?). Oh well, inserting these beasts
    manually works too (-:

kind regards,
--

@ 2000-03-24 14:24       ` Hannu Koivisto
From: Hannu Koivisto @ 2000-03-24 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:

| > [2] BTW, is there a way to get xemacs's footnote-mode working in
| >     Gnumacs?
|
| Someone (forgot who) posted a inoffical new footnote.el on
| gnu.emacs.sources with some quite nice features¹. Search the archives
| (if you don't find it I have a copy to spare).

I guess I'm to be blamed on that :)  Since that posting, I have
submitted it to xemacs developers / maintainer and he promised to
integrate my changes, but I don't know whether that has happened
already.  I fixed one bug before I sent my changes to xemacs
developers but after I sent my version to gnu.emacs.sources and
Jonas, so it may be better that anyone who wants a copy before it
appears in XEmacs sends a request to me.

--
Hannu

@ 2000-03-25  2:18 ` Paul Stevenson
       [not found]   ` <wtnya7778ga.fsf@licia.dtek.chalmers.se>
From: Paul Stevenson @ 2000-03-25  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Fuchs <asf@acm.org> writes:

> Is there a way to accomplish this? IIRC, the format for this sick(IMO)
> way of quoting is:

I wrote a silly function which will take a mail posted by Internet Mail
Service or Outlook which quotes in the above way, with the reply before
the original message, and other nonsense, and reformats it in the proper
way.

so a mail whose body looks like:

.-----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Paul Stevenson @ 2000-03-25 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:

> Paul Stevenson <spaul@icx.net> writes:
>
> > I wrote a silly function which will take a mail posted by Internet Mail
> > Service or Outlook which quotes in the above way, with the reply before
> > the original message, and other nonsense, and reformats it in the proper
> > way.
>
> Nice, but it contained some bugs. (Surprised?)

Not at all.

> Here's a patch.

excellent! thanks.

@ 2000-04-20 18:36   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2000-04-20 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Stevenson <spaul@icx.net> writes:

> I wrote a silly function which will take a mail posted by Internet Mail
> Service or Outlook which quotes in the above way, with the reply before
> the original message, and other nonsense, and reformats it in the proper
> way.

I think this would be a very nice article washing command to have.
Could you clean it up and submit a patch?