* X-Face insertion
@ 1999-10-15 19:40 Jerry James
From: Jerry James @ 1999-10-15 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

A response to a bug report of mine some time ago indicated that the bug
was fixed in pGnus, and suggested that I give it a try.  So I've been
giving it a try for the last few weeks.  All has been well so far, with
one exception.

My old .gnus.el had this for inserting an X-Face header into outgoing
news articles and mail messages, lifted directly from a sample .gnus.el
on gnus.org:

(defun xface-insert ()
  (nnheader-temp-write nil
    (insert-file-contents "~/.xface")
    (buffer-string)))

I then added (X-Face . xface-insert) to message-required-news-headers
and message-required-mail-headers.  However, as the Changelog shows,
nnheader-temp-write has been gone since pGnus 0.4.  What is The Right
Way of doing this now?

There is no mention of the subject in the info files, only information
on viewing other people's X-Faces.  Furthermore, searching the ding
archives with the glimpse search engine proved fruitless.  I searched
for nnheader\-temp\-write, and got 0 results.  I thought that maybe the
web interface was escaping special characters (although that would be
bad), so I tried nnheader-temp-write, and got 0 results.  I even tried
nnheader;temp;write in desperation, and got 0 results.  Something is
wrong here, because the pGnus 0.4 announcement in August of 1998
definitely contains the target string.  And no matter how far I restrict
the search for x\-face, even down to individual months, the search
always times out without returning any results.

Thanks for any help.
--
Jerry James

* Re: X-Face insertion
@ 1999-10-15 19:46 ` Matt Pharr
From: Matt Pharr @ 1999-10-15 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

james@eecs.ukans.edu (Jerry James) writes:
> My old .gnus.el had this for inserting an X-Face header into outgoing
> news articles and mail messages, lifted directly from a sample .gnus.el
> on gnus.org:
>
> (defun xface-insert ()
>   (nnheader-temp-write nil
>     (insert-file-contents "~/.xface")
>     (buffer-string)))
>
> I then added (X-Face . xface-insert) to message-required-news-headers
> and message-required-mail-headers.  However, as the Changelog shows,
> nnheader-temp-write has been gone since pGnus 0.4.  What is The Right
> Way of doing this now?

I'm not sure what the proper way is, but I've been using the following for
some time, and it works great.  I'm not sure where this came from
originally; presumably one of the prolific contributors to this list.
Another option is to use gnus-posting-styles, IIRC.

It is probably a bug that this isn't covered in the documentation.  I'd
submit a doc patch, but am not confident enough that this is the most
elegant way to do it.

(defun message-insert-x-face ()
  (save-excursion
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (search-forward mail-header-separator)
    (beginning-of-line nil)
    (insert "X-Face: ")
    (insert-file (expand-file-name "/u/mmp/.xface"))))
(add-hook 'message-send-hook 'message-insert-x-face)

-matt
--
Matt Pharr                                   mmp@graphics.stanford.edu
<URL:http://graphics.stanford.edu/~mmp>

* Re: X-Face insertion
@ 1999-10-16 20:23   ` Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 1999-10-16 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matt Pharr <mmp@graphics.stanford.edu> writes:

> I'm not sure what the proper way is, but I've been using the following for
> some time, and it works great.

Well, the funniest thing is that your X-Face is not showing for me in
0.97. And I do see other people's x-faces, for example, Karl
Kleinpaste's (sp?). Your X-Face header has a new line immediately
after "X-Face:", and the x-face follows on the line below.

> I'm not sure where this came from
> originally; presumably one of the prolific contributors to this list.
> Another option is to use gnus-posting-styles, IIRC.
>
> It is probably a bug that this isn't covered in the documentation.  I'd
> submit a doc patch, but am not confident enough that this is the most
> elegant way to do it.

I, for once, also searched for directions on inserting X-Face in gnus
and Xemacs manuals, and found nothing. I think that it should be
covered somewhere.

So, I second the request: could somebody please share the proper way
of inserting x-face header with gnus?

Thanks,
--
Arcady Genkin                                http://wgaf.dyndns.org
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who

* Re: X-Face insertion
@ 1999-10-17  0:04     ` Andrew J Cosgriff
From: Andrew J Cosgriff @ 1999-10-17  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arcady Genkin wrote :

> I, for once, also searched for directions on inserting X-Face in
> gnus and Xemacs manuals, and found nothing. I think that it should
> be covered somewhere.

> So, I second the request: could somebody please share the proper way
> of inserting x-face header with gnus?

I don't know of any "proper" way.

A long time ago I used to use ExMH, and I'd already constructed an
X-Face header to use in it, so when I swapped over to Gnus (in the
(ding) days of 1995 or whenever it was.  Maybe '96), I just copied it
over and put it in message-default-headers (or whatever the variable
was called back then before message.el existed) :

(setq message-default-headers "X-Attribution: ajc

Works for me...

--
Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@polydistortion.net> exterminate all rational thought !
                        fame triangle light orlando lost

* Re: X-Face insertion
@ 1999-10-17 14:41       ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 1999-10-17 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adding the header to message-default-headers seems to be the way to
do it (at least that's what I have in my .gnus file). I also have a
comment that precedes the code, which may prove useful:

;;Note: any double-quote characters in the contents of the xface
;;MUST be escaped with a back-slash

* Re: X-Face insertion
@ 1999-10-18  5:36     ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 1999-10-18  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

> Well, the funniest thing is that your X-Face is not showing for me in
> 0.97. And I do see other people's x-faces, for example, Karl
> Kleinpaste's (sp?). Your X-Face header has a new line immediately
> after "X-Face:", and the x-face follows on the line below.

But I don't think, there's something wrong with Matt's XFace, for I
can see it (him?) properly, well, taking into account the constraints
of the image :-)

Norbert.

* Re: X-Face insertion
@ 1999-10-18 15:53         ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 1999-10-18 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

Hi!

> Then something must be broken on my end. This is how I see his X-Face
> header:

 [...]

Hmm, this looks strange. I don't have no newline inbetween.

> Any ideas why the x-face display feature is broken for some messages,
> but works for others? I have `gnus-article-display-x-face' added to
> `gnus-article-display-hook' in my .gnus.

This has changed in pGnus. There's a whole bunch of 'treaty'-variables
now to set. Try

M-x customize-variable RET gnus-treat-display-xface RET

with a value of 'head. The whole group would be

M-x customize-group RET gnus-article-treat RET

Or, setq the variables to their appropriate values. They are defvared
in gnus-art.el.

Norbert.

* Re: X-Face insertion
@ 1999-10-18 16:31       ` Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 1999-10-18 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norbert Koch <n.koch@eai-delta.de> writes:

> Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:
>
> > Well, the funniest thing is that your X-Face is not showing for me in
> > 0.97. And I do see other people's x-faces, for example, Karl
> > Kleinpaste's (sp?). Your X-Face header has a new line immediately
> > after "X-Face:", and the x-face follows on the line below.
>
> But I don't think, there's something wrong with Matt's XFace, for I
> can see it (him?) properly, well, taking into account the constraints
> of the image :-)

Then something must be broken on my end. This is how I see his X-Face
header:

Any ideas why the x-face display feature is broken for some messages,
but works for others? I have `gnus-article-display-x-face' added to
`gnus-article-display-hook' in my .gnus.

Thanks,
--
Arcady Genkin                                http://wgaf.dyndns.org
"'What good is my pity? Is not the pity the cross upon which he who
loves man is nailed?..'" (Zarathustra - F. Nietzsche)

* Re: X-Face insertion
@ 1999-10-18 23:04           ` Arcady Genkin
From: Arcady Genkin @ 1999-10-18 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norbert Koch <n.koch@eai-delta.de> writes:

> > Then something must be broken on my end. This is how I see his X-Face
> > header:

>  [...]
>
> Hmm, this looks strange. I don't have no newline inbetween.
>
> > Any ideas why the x-face display feature is broken for some messages,
> > but works for others? I have `gnus-article-display-x-face' added to
> > `gnus-article-display-hook' in my .gnus.
>
> This has changed in pGnus. There's a whole bunch of 'treaty'-variables
> now to set. Try

Oops. I remembered setting that treaty variable, but searched for
x-face in my .gnus, and only found the
gnus-article-display-x-face. Ok, I had them both set -- the
gnus-article-display-x-face, and a (setq gnus-treat-display-xface
'head).

I left only the g-treat-d-xface now. The problem persists. Well, the
problem is that that's the way the messages are stored on disk. I just
checked with a "cat" (I use nnml).

The question is: who is responsible for mangling the header then,
gnus, my MTA or the MDA; and how do I figure it out...

Also, why some x-faces get mangled, while others don't. It seems to me
that only the ones that are in form of one very long line get
"wrapped".

Andrew J Cosgriff's and Matt Pharr's headers get mutilated this way,
while some others' -- don't.

--

@ 1999-11-06 22:03             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-06 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca> writes:

> The question is: who is responsible for mangling the header then,
> gnus, my MTA or the MDA; and how do I figure it out...

I would guess the MDA, but I don't know how to confirm that...

* Re: X-Face insertion
@ 1999-11-07  2:14 ` Jason R Mastaler
From: Jason R Mastaler @ 1999-11-07  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

james@eecs.ukans.edu (Jerry James) writes:

> My old .gnus.el had this for inserting an X-Face header into outgoing
> news articles and mail messages, lifted directly from a sample .gnus.el
> on gnus.org:
>
> (defun xface-insert ()
>   (nnheader-temp-write nil
>     (insert-file-contents "~/.xface")
>     (buffer-string)))
>
> I then added (X-Face . xface-insert) to message-required-news-headers
> and message-required-mail-headers.  However, as the Changelog shows,
> nnheader-temp-write has been gone since pGnus 0.4.  What is The Right
> Way of doing this now?

Replace `nnheader-temp-write' with `with-temp-buffer' and it should
work again.

> There is no mention of the subject in the info files, only information
> on viewing other people's X-Faces.  Furthermore, searching the ding
> archives with the glimpse search engine proved fruitless.  I searched
> for nnheader\-temp\-write, and got 0 results.  I thought that maybe the
> web interface was escaping special characters (although that would be
> bad), so I tried nnheader-temp-write, and got 0 results.  I even tried
> nnheader;temp;write in desperation, and got 0 results.  Something is
> wrong here, because the pGnus 0.4 announcement in August of 1998
> definitely contains the target string.  And no matter how far I restrict
> the search for x\-face, even down to individual months, the search
> always times out without returning any results.

Sorry about that, occasionally the indexes get hosed-up and must be
re-generated.