* gnus-group-list-all-matching reads mail
@ 1999-08-26 22:51 Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-08-26 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am sure there is a simple answer, but ...

If I am looking for newsgroups matching a certain expression, I generally
do 'C-u 10 A M' to make sure Gnus queries the server for groups that I
ignore.  The function correctly queries every server it knows about (nntp,
nnml, nnfolder).  However, when it queries my nnml (mail) and nnfolder
(archive) servers, it actually goes off and attempts to read new mail.  Why
should it do that?

Interestingly, it doesn't seem to browse a foreign server (nntp) that I
have running all the time.  Why might that be?

--
Jack Vinson
Zippy: Yow!  I want to mail a bronzed artichoke to Nicaragua!

* Re: gnus-group-list-all-matching reads mail
@ 1999-09-25  6:13 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-25  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Vinson <vinson@unagi.cis.upenn.edu> writes:

> If I am looking for newsgroups matching a certain expression, I generally
> do 'C-u 10 A M' to make sure Gnus queries the server for groups that I
> ignore.  The function correctly queries every server it knows about (nntp,
> nnml, nnfolder).  However, when it queries my nnml (mail) and nnfolder
> (archive) servers, it actually goes off and attempts to read new mail.  Why
> should it do that?

Gnus does the nn*-request-scan call at the same time that it asks for
the list of groups.

* Re: gnus-group-list-all-matching reads mail
@ 1999-09-27 14:36   ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-09-27 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

LMI> Jack Vinson <vinson@unagi.cis.upenn.edu> writes:
>> If I am looking for newsgroups matching a certain expression, I generally
>> do 'C-u 10 A M' to make sure Gnus queries the server for groups that I
>> ignore.  The function correctly queries every server it knows about (nntp,
>> nnml, nnfolder).  However, when it queries my nnml (mail) and nnfolder
>> (archive) servers, it actually goes off and attempts to read new mail.  Why
>> should it do that?

LMI> Gnus does the nn*-request-scan call at the same time that it asks for
LMI> the list of groups.

Is the -request-scan necessary?  It seemed surprising to me that my mail
was being read when all I wanted was a list of news groups.  And why didn't
it give me the list of groups from a foreign nntp server?

Jack

* Re: gnus-group-list-all-matching reads mail
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-27 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Vinson <vinson@unagi.cis.upenn.edu> writes:

> Is the -request-scan necessary?  It seemed surprising to me that my mail
> was being read when all I wanted was a list of news groups.

Rescanning mail servers sometimes reveal new groups.  At least if
you've altered the splitting rules.

> And why didn't it give me the list of groups from a foreign nntp
> server?

Only the primary and secondary servers are queries.