* MIME preview
@ 1999-03-03 15:03 Simon Josefsson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Simon Josefsson @ 1999-03-03 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

One thing I really liked in TM/Semignus was the ability to preview the
article I'm editing. Is this possible with the MML stuff?

I did C-h m and M-m v (`nnml-validate') was the most promising looking
function. But it turned out that all mml functions except M-m f
(`mml-attach-file') wasn't defined . Huh?

* Re: MIME preview
@ 1999-03-03 15:16 ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-03-03 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:

  > One thing I really liked in TM/Semignus was the ability to preview the
  > article I'm editing. Is this possible with the MML stuff?

Weeell... type C-c C-d then look in the drafts group.

kai
--
I like _\bb_\bo_\bt_\bh kinds of music.

* Re: MIME preview
@ 1999-03-03 15:36   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 1999-03-03 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

>   > One thing I really liked in TM/Semignus was the ability to preview the
>   > article I'm editing. Is this possible with the MML stuff?
>
> Weeell... type C-c C-d then look in the drafts group.

Not quite, I would just see MML tags and no MIME then. I want to
preview the mail as it's going to end up when I send it and later read
it using Gnus. Well, as close as possible, anyway.

* Re: MIME preview
@ 1999-03-03 15:45   ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1999-03-03 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Weeell... type C-c C-d then look in the drafts group.

Nope.  C-c C-d just leaves the MML in there.  It doesn't generate the
actual MIME.

I've been doing M-: (mml-generate-mime) and looking in the
Message-Log, but that's *very* unsatisfying.  This is especially
important now, when most MML that isn't a simple "attach this file"
has to be done by hand and it's easy to screw up, even with the
emacs-mime info file open to the example page :-).  For example a long
time ago I used a Mac emulation called MAE that saved files in
appledouble format.  Occasionally I'm asked to email one of the old
documents to someone.  To do so, I have to set up a
multipart/appledouble with the two subparts, one application/applefile
the other application/whatever.  I'd like to be able to verify for
myself that I've done it right before it gets sent.  The new M-m
keymap (which appears to be unimplemented in 0.79, or do I need to set
up some autoloads?) with its mml-validate function may do what I want,
but it doesn't seem to be there yet.
--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730

* Re: MIME preview
@ 1999-03-03 16:16     ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1999-03-03 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:

  > Not quite, I would just see MML tags and no MIME then.

Argl.  You're right, of course.  I posted without thinking.

kai
--

@ 1999-03-03 16:20     ` Lee Willis
From: Lee Willis @ 1999-03-03 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:
>
> >   > One thing I really liked in TM/Semignus was the ability to preview the
> >   > article I'm editing. Is this possible with the MML stuff?
> >
> > Weeell... type C-c C-d then look in the drafts group.
>
> Not quite, I would just see MML tags and no MIME then. I want to
> preview the mail as it's going to end up when I send it and later read
> it using Gnus. Well, as close as possible, anyway.

You could always mail it to yourself and if it's all OK do a quick
S D r intendedemailaddress [RET], but that kinda sucks ...

Lee.
--
I was doing object-oriented assembly at 1 year old ...
For some reason my mom insists on calling it "Playing with blocks"

* Re: MIME preview
@ 1999-03-03 19:40 ` James H. Cloos Jr.
From: James H. Cloos Jr. @ 1999-03-03 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

To preview the current mesage buffer try running (mml-to-mime).
(You'll need to run it in eval-expression; it is not interactive.)

Use undo after looking at the preview to return to mml.

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.  <http://www.jhcloos.com/cloos/public_key> 1024D/ED7DAEA6
<cloos@jhcloos.com>     E9E9 F828 61A4 6EA9 0F2B  63E7 997A 9F17 ED7D AEA6

* Re: MIME preview
@ 1999-03-04  1:31 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-03-04  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:

> I did C-h m and M-m v (`nnml-validate') was the most promising looking
> function. But it turned out that all mml functions except M-m f
> (`mml-attach-file') wasn't defined . Huh?

I kinda grew bored after I wrote the keymap.  :-)

I'll implement the stuff, but if anybody else wants to take a whack at
at (especially the insertion functions; I don't like writing those
user-input thingies), then that would be nice.

* Re: MIME preview
@ 1999-03-04  1:32   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-03-04  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

"James H. Cloos Jr." <cloos@jhcloos.com> writes:

> To preview the current mesage buffer try running (mml-to-mime).
> (You'll need to run it in eval-expression; it is not interactive.)
>
> Use undo after looking at the preview to return to mml.

Yup.   But a "preview" thing would also be nice.  Perhaps two preview
commands -- one to see the resulting MIME, and one to see the
resulting MIME as interpreted by Gnus?  I've now added keystrokes
(but no functions) for this.  :-)