* Re: Prefer text for text and html?
       [not found] <6fk8x68poz.fsf@dna.lth.se>
@ 1999-02-25 15:51 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-02-25 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

KS> I have installed the w3 thing for use in Gnus, but would only like to
KS> use it when html is the only option - that is to say, if some annoying
KS> netscape user sends me both html and text versions of a message, I
KS> want to ignore the html and only show the text.  Is there some way to
KS> achieve this?

This comes up once a month or so as more and more users begin playing with
Gnus.  Has it made it into the manual anywhere?

Kurt, there is a variable called mm-alternative-precedence which tells Gnus
which parts to show if there are alternatives.  Obviously, the default
setting is to show text/html over test/plain.

To change this, put the following in your gnus-init-file (usually .gnus):

(require 'mm-decode)
(setq mm-alternative-precedence
      (cons "text/plain" (delete "text/plain" mm-alternative-precedence)))

You don't really need to delete "text/plain", as Gnus just looks for the
first match.  I just think it looks prettier to only have one entry in the
list.

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: Okay, BARBRA STREISAND, I recognize you now!!  Also EFREM ZIMBALIST,

* Re: Prefer text for text and html?
@ 1999-02-26 14:38   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-02-26 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu> writes:

> KS> I have installed the w3 thing for use in Gnus, but would only like to
> KS> use it when html is the only option - that is to say, if some annoying
> KS> netscape user sends me both html and text versions of a message, I
> KS> want to ignore the html and only show the text.  Is there some way to
> KS> achieve this?
>
> This comes up once a month or so as more and more users begin playing with
> Gnus.  Has it made it into the manual anywhere?

No, none of the variables for handling MIME are in a manual yet.  I'm
going to rename a few of them.

@ 1999-02-25 15:46 ` David S. Goldberg
From: David S. Goldberg @ 1999-02-25 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> if some annoying netscape user sends me both html and text versions
> of a message, I want to ignore the html and only show the text.  Is
> there some way to achieve this?

in your .gnus do

;;;; show the text/plain part before the text/html part in multpart/alternative
(require 'mm-decode)
(push "text/plain" mm-alternative-precedence)

--
Dave Goldberg
Post: The Mitre Corporation\MS B305\202 Burlington Rd.\Bedford, MA 01730