* Laptop colors
@ 1998-12-19  0:02 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
       [not found] ` <x77lvprmaz.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-12-19  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

My kind employers have given me a portable machine.  (It has nothing
to do with me taking the Xmas off; oh no.  Uh-huh.)

The one think I really find confusing about these things are which
colors one is supposed to use one the screen.  If I use black (as I
usually do), then I get a shimmery uneven effect, and white looks
really, uhm, bright.  White metallic.  What colors does one use as the
background and foreground colors?

(Toshiba Satellite 4000CDS.)

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Laptop colors
       [not found] ` <x77lvprmaz.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
@ 1998-12-19 22:08   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-12-19 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> lightgoldenrod on rgb:0/0/32, with a hacked version of custom that never
> changes them for anything, unless I specifically set it otherwise.

Dark colors really show off the weaknesses of the display on this
laptop.  The colors are uneven, especially along the borders.

It was suggested to me to use Gainsboro as the background, and that
seems to be working OK.  I get a nice, even background, and using
black as the default text color works very well.  All the default Gnus
colors also work by default using this background (which is a very
light gray background).

Now, if only I could get used to this keyboard...  Absolutely all the
keys are in the wrong place, and there's far too few modifier keys.
I'm thinking I should just remap the entire bottom row to give me
Hyper and Super, as well as extra Control and Meta keys...

* Re: Laptop colors
@ 1998-12-19 23:23     ` Kai.Grossjohann
       [not found]       ` <m3lnk3xctp.fsf@reader.newsguy.com>
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1998-12-19 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > It was suggested to me to use Gainsboro as the background, and that
  > seems to be working OK.

Wow, gainsboro is *quite* nice.  I used to use lightgrey for a long
time, then recently switched to antiquewhite1, and after reading this
message it was clear that gainsboro is what I want :-)

All on a CRT, tho.

</off-topic>

kai
--
This gubblick contains many nonsklarkish English flutzpahs,
but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. -- David Moser

* Re: Laptop colors
@ 1998-12-20  0:49     ` luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 1998-12-20  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

    larsi> Now, if only I could get used to this keyboard...

Does it not have an external keyboard connector?

Or is it that there isn't room, for the exernal kbd, on the couch?

* Re: Laptop colors
@ 1998-12-20  0:57       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-12-20  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

luis fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:

> Does it not have an external keyboard connector?
>
> Or is it that there isn't room, for the exernal kbd, on the couch?

My lap is big, but putting both a portable computer and a keyboard on
it is pushing things a bit.  :-)

The portable is a kinda nice and warm and purring thing to have on my
lap, though.  (Cat-substitute-wise, that is.)

* Re: Laptop colors
       [not found]       ` <m3lnk3xctp.fsf@reader.newsguy.com>
@ 1998-12-20 11:51         ` Kai.Grossjohann
From: Kai.Grossjohann @ 1998-12-20 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > Do you see a difference between gainsboro and grey85?

Yes, grey85 looks a bit pink (!).

Hm.  Here's the real difference (on Debian 2.0 i386 and SPARC Solaris
2.5):

,-----
| [kai] egrep 'gainsboro|grey85' /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt
| 220 220 220             gainsboro
| 217 217 217             grey85
`-----

Hm.  And lightgrey is `211 211 211'.  Hm.

kai
--
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out there to get me!

* Re: Laptop colors
@ 1998-12-20 14:26           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-12-20 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

>   > Do you see a difference between gainsboro and grey85?
>
> Yes, grey85 looks a bit pink (!).

On this portablle, grey85 looks a lot more metallic than Gainsboro,
for some reason or other...

By the way, does lighter colors consume more battery power than darker
colors?  I planned on joining the Mile High Bug-Fixing Club tomorrow
while flying north.  Or do planes supply 15V to all the passengers
these days?

(I'll be gone for ten days, but since I'm modemed up and everything,
Gnus stuff will probably continue as before, although I'll do my best
to be bored and computerless, since I like being bored and
computerless this time of year.)

* Re: Laptop colors
@ 1998-12-20 19:23             ` Doug Bagley
From: Doug Bagley @ 1998-12-20 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> By the way, does lighter colors consume more battery power than darker
> colors?  I planned on joining the Mile High Bug-Fixing Club tomorrow
> while flying north.  Or do planes supply 15V to all the passengers
> these days?

I don't know if lighter colors matter much.  There are some good hints
on how to conserve battery power here:

  http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Battery-Powered.html

It is linux oriented but has some tips that could help other unices,
based on this info, I found hacked versions of bdflush and apmd to
help conserve power, and increase the functionality of the advanced
power management.  It's great to be able to just close the lid on the
laptop in the middle of your work, and open it later and continue from
where your were.

I found this info at the nice site of "Linux on Laptops":

  http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

Cheers,
Doug

* Re: Laptop colors
@ 1998-12-21 13:28         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-12-21 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> luis fernandes <elf@ee.ryerson.ca> writes:
>
> > Does it not have an external keyboard connector?
> >
> > Or is it that there isn't room, for the exernal kbd, on the couch?
>
> My lap is big, but putting both a portable computer and a keyboard on
> it is pushing things a bit.  :-)
>
> The portable is a kinda nice and warm and purring thing to have on my
> lap, though.  (Cat-substitute-wise, that is.)

Is it not equiped with a connection for full monitor...maybe you could
squeeze a desktop monitor on there too, to solve the color problem
...he he

--
Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Running Redhat Linux 5.1

* Re: Laptop colors
@ 1998-12-21 19:01           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-12-21 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is it not equiped with a connection for full monitor...maybe you could
> squeeze a desktop monitor on there too, to solve the color problem
> ...he he

My lap contains multitudes.

(I'm on the train up to the airport right now.  Tee hee.)

* Re: Laptop colors
@ 1998-12-22  8:06             ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-12-22  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> (I'm on the train up to the airport right now.  Tee hee.)

You're online?  Then you can take at how the traffic is doing, and be
glad you didn't take the bus:
	http://www.vegvesen.no/gardermoen/

* Re: Laptop colors
@ 1998-12-24  1:46               ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-12-24  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:

> > (I'm on the train up to the airport right now.  Tee hee.)
>
> You're online?

Nah.  I still haven't gotten my phonecard for the laptop.