* nnir better than chocolate
@ 1998-08-07 21:24 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-08-07 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai's nnir tool is the greatest thing since peanut-butter.
Are there plans afoot to introduce it in a coming release?

How are other people fairing with it?
A small problem I've noticed is that I can't seem to be able to tell
'nnir' where to look for its *.glimpse* files.  Setting the other
variable worked fine.  I only needed `nnir-glimpse-home' and
`nnir-search-engine' of the variables available:no

Possible variables are:
nnir-glimpse-home		   nnir-glimpse-program
nnir-glimpse-remove-prefix	   nnir-search-engine
nnir-wais-database		   nnir-wais-program

After setting  `nnir-glimpse-home' to 'nnir-exp' with M-x set-variable
(set-variable (quote nnir-glimpse-home) (quote nnir-exp))

'Nnir' still looks for its index  in '~/' the default.

Looking at Kais' code I only see one place where a default is
being set:

(around line 216)
(defvoo nnir-glimpse-home (getenv "HOME")
  "*Value of `-H' glimpse option.")

So I commented this out and recompiled.  'Nnir' still looks for its
files in '~/' even with:

(set-variable (quote nnir-glimpse-home) (quote nnir-exp))
or
(set-variable (quote nnir-glimpse-home) (quote /homr/reader/nnir-exp))

placed in .gnus before starting.

>From *messages*:
Fetching headers for nnir:nnir...
Args out of range: ["can't open glimpse index-file .home.reader..glimpse_index
(use -H to give an index-directory or run 'glimpseindex' to make an index)

"nnir-glimpse-home" is no where in the recompiled .elc file so must be
getting set by 'glimpse' itself (that is glimpses' default)
This seems it might mean that the variable is not getting passed to
glimpse for one or another reason.

Its pretty likely to be something I've botched up.  I wonder if others
have had this minor problem?

Of course I get around it by putting the '.glimpse_*' files where nnir
wants them so this is a very minor glitch.

NNIR really enhances my use of Gnus, and I've just started to see its
many abilities.

Good Work.

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: nnir better than chocolate
@ 1998-08-11 15:18 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-08-11 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  > After setting  `nnir-glimpse-home' to 'nnir-exp' with M-x set-variable
  > (set-variable (quote nnir-glimpse-home) (quote nnir-exp))
  >
  > 'Nnir' still looks for its index  in '~/' the default.

Well, there has been a bug.  Thanks to Simon Josefsson who fixed it.
You might want to fetch a new version of nnir.el.

Btw, you should use (setq nnir-glimpse-home "/path/goes/here"), not
(setq nnir-glimpse-home '/path/goes/here).  The directory name is a
string and thus needs "..." notation.

kai
--
OOP: object oriented programming;  OOPS: object oriented mistakes

* Re: nnir better than chocolate
@ 1998-08-11 15:19   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-08-11 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  > Well, there has been a bug.  Thanks to Simon Josefsson who fixed it.

Err.  Thanks to Justin Sheehy who fixed it.  Have I confused you now?  :-)

kai
--

@ 1998-08-11 15:26     ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 1998-08-11 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Harry Putnam, ding

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@amaunet.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

>   > Well, there has been a bug.  Thanks to Simon Josefsson who fixed it.
>
> Err.  Thanks to Justin Sheehy who fixed it.  Have I confused you now?  :-)

Not yet, have another go :-)

Norbert.

--
Dr Norbert Koch, DELTA Industrie Informatik GmbH, Fellbach, Germany.
A rattlesnake that doesn't bite teaches you nothing!

* Re: nnir better than chocolate
@ 1998-08-12  3:41   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-08-12  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

>   > After setting  `nnir-glimpse-home' to 'nnir-exp' with M-x set-variable
>   > (set-variable (quote nnir-glimpse-home) (quote nnir-exp))
>   >
>   > 'Nnir' still looks for its index  in '~/' the default.
>
> Well, there has been a bug.  Thanks to Simon Josefsson who fixed it.
> You might want to fetch a new version of nnir.el.

Yes I have the new version now.  Just got it.  It seems 'nnir' still
looks for 'glimpse-home' only in ~/.
I have this line in .gnus:

(setq nnir-glimpse-home "/home/reader/glimpse-m")
But nnir still looks in ~/

|From *messeges* buffer:
"/home/reader/glimpse-m"
Doing glimpse query nnglimpse...
Doing glimpse query nnglimpse...done
Doing glimpse query nnglimpse...
Doing glimpse query nnglimpse...done
Retrieving newsgroup: nnir:nnglimpse...
Doing glimpse query nnglimpse...
Doing glimpse query nnglimpse...done
Fetching headers for nnir:nnglimpse...
Args out of range: ["can't open glimpse index-file .home.reader..glimpse_index
(use -H to give an index-directory or run 'glimpseindex' to make an index)
" 1000], 2

Is the ".home.reader..glimpse_index" notation, an indication of a problem?

> Btw, you should use (setq nnir-glimpse-home "/path/goes/here"), not
> (setq nnir-glimpse-home '/path/goes/here).  The directory name is a
> string and thus needs "..." notation.

I've set the home variable with M-x set-variable then captured the
output with C-x ESC ESC C-a C-k  and yanked it into .gnus
That method produces the syntax below.  Is that incorrect?

(set-variable (quote nnir-glimpse-home) (quote/home/reader/glimpse-m))
Using either the above or:
(setq nnir-glimpse-home "/home/reader/glimpse-m")
Neither causes nnir to look in ~/glimpse-m for its index files.  Nnir
still looks in ~/

C-h v shows :

nnir-glimpse-home's value is
/home/reader/glimpse-m

--

Harry Putnam

* Re: nnir better than chocolate
@ 1998-08-12 14:48     ` Francisco Solsona
From: Francisco Solsona @ 1998-08-12 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@amaunet.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

[...]

> Args out of range: ["can't open glimpse index-file .home.reader..glimpse_index
> (use -H to give an index-directory or run 'glimpseindex' to make an index)
> " 1000], 2

> Is the ".home.reader..glimpse_index" notation, an indication of a problem?

	Yes. Those "." are actually "/" (they get substituted by
nnir), so the path actually is:

/home/reader//glimpse_index
            ^^
then your "glimpse-m" is not there. This is the part in nnir.el from
where glimpse gets called:

      (call-process nnir-glimpse-program
                    nil                 ; input from /dev/null
                    t                   ; output
                    nil                 ; don't redisplay
                    "-H" nnir-glimpse-home ; search home dir
			^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

note that the value of nnir-glimpse-home is inserted "as is". Your
problem then can only reside on the setting of that variable. I have,

(require 'nnir)
(setq nnir-glimpse-home "/path/to/index")

and it works fine. Why don't you load nnir.el (not nnir.elc) and then
edebug nnir-run-glimpse, that way you'll be sure of what value of
nnir-glimpse-home is using (and why).

hth,
Francisco
--
When people post source code in gnu.emacs.sources,
please do not curse at them.  Please just keep silent.

* Re: nnir better than chocolate
@ 1998-08-12 21:35       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-08-12 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Francisco Solsona <solsona@deprof.fciencias.unam.mx> writes:

> > Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@amaunet.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > Args out of range: ["can't open glimpse index-file .home.reader..glimpse_index
> > (use -H to give an index-directory or run 'glimpseindex' to make an index)
> > " 1000], 2
>
> > Is the ".home.reader..glimpse_index" notation, an indication of a problem?
>
> 	Yes. Those "." are actually "/" (they get substituted by
> nnir), so the path actually is:

Isn't the second dot because of the (.) int the glimpseindex output files"
(.glimpse_index)

> /home/reader//glimpse_index
>             ^^
> then your "glimpse-m" is not there. This is the part in nnir.el from

It turned out to be a more mundane (and dopey) reason.  In shuffling
back and forth between the old and the new versions I had somehow
managed to rename the wrong one to 'nnir-1.16.el' and so was actually

> and it works fine. Why don't you load nnir.el (not nnir.elc) and then
> edebug nnir-run-glimpse, that way you'll be sure of what value of
> nnir-glimpse-home is using (and why).

Yes, I suppose it is high time I learned to use edebug.  That would
have avoided this kind of confusion.

Thanks

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com