* Gnus 5.5 not displaying new articles in group
@ 1998-03-09 17:45 Kris Boulez
From: Kris Boulez @ 1998-03-09 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm trying to use Gnus 5.5 and have the problem that when I enter a
group, it tells me that there are no new articles. Although on entering
the group it tells me there are x articles and he says "fetching headers".
In the status window at the bottom some messages pass by very quickly
and then "No unread news". When I enter the group with M-C-return I get
all the articles.
Can someone give me a clue in which direction to start looking, or how
I can see all the status messages that pass by ?

P.S. When answering, can you CC me in the mail as I'm (not yet) on the
mailing list.

Kris,
--
Kris Boulez				kris@belbone.be

* Re: Gnus 5.5 not displaying new articles in group
@ 1998-03-13 21:24 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-13 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kris Boulez

Kris Boulez <kris@belbone.be> writes:

> I'm trying to use Gnus 5.5 and have the problem that when I enter a
> group, it tells me that there are no new articles. Although on entering
> the group it tells me there are x articles and he says "fetching headers".
> In the status window at the bottom some messages pass by very quickly
> and then "No unread news".

Perhaps all the articles were cancelled?

> Can someone give me a clue in which direction to start looking, or how
> I can see all the status messages that pass by ?

Switch the "*Messages*" buffer.

* Re: Gnus 5.5 not displaying new articles in group
@ 1998-03-13 23:43   ` Stefanie Teufel
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Stefanie Teufel @ 1998-03-13 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kris Boulez

On Fri, Mar 13, 1998 at 10:24:34PM +0100, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Kris Boulez <kris@belbone.be> writes:
>
> > I'm trying to use Gnus 5.5 and have the problem that when I enter a
> > group, it tells me that there are no new articles. Although on entering
> > the group it tells me there are x articles and he says "fetching headers".
> > In the status window at the bottom some messages pass by very quickly
> > and then "No unread news".
>
> Perhaps all the articles were cancelled?

No, I encounter a similar problem from time to time in gnus 5.6.2. Gnus
shows me in the group summary buffer, that there are x new articles in
a group, but doesn't display them at all, when I enter the certain
group. But there are definitly on my system, because I can access them
in tin or any other newsreader.

Any hints what's wrong here?

happy weekend and TIA,

Stefanie

* Re: Gnus 5.5 not displaying new articles in group
@ 1998-03-14  7:29     ` Eze Ogwuma
From: Eze Ogwuma @ 1998-03-14  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, ding, Kris Boulez

Stefanie Teufel <s.teufel@ndh.net> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 13, 1998 at 10:24:34PM +0100, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> > Kris Boulez <kris@belbone.be> writes:
> >
> > > I'm trying to use Gnus 5.5 and have the problem that when I enter a
> > > group, it tells me that there are no new articles. Although on entering
> > > the group it tells me there are x articles and he says "fetching headers".
> > > In the status window at the bottom some messages pass by very quickly
> > > and then "No unread news".
> >
> > Perhaps all the articles were cancelled?
>
> No, I encounter a similar problem from time to time in gnus 5.6.2. Gnus
> shows me in the group summary buffer, that there are x new articles in
> a group, but doesn't display them at all, when I enter the certain
> group. But there are definitly on my system, because I can access them
> in tin or any other newsreader.
>
> Any hints what's wrong here?

Lars,

Could this be the "other-servers cached articles" problem again?

--
Eze Ogwuma

* Re: Gnus 5.5 not displaying new articles in group
@ 1998-03-16  8:14     ` Kris Boulez
From: Kris Boulez @ 1998-03-16  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kris Boulez

Quoting Stefanie Teufel (s.teufel@ndh.net):
> On Fri, Mar 13, 1998 at 10:24:34PM +0100, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> > Kris Boulez <kris@belbone.be> writes:
> >
> > > I'm trying to use Gnus 5.5 and have the problem that when I enter a
> > > group, it tells me that there are no new articles. Although on entering
> > > the group it tells me there are x articles and he says "fetching headers".
> > > In the status window at the bottom some messages pass by very quickly
> > > and then "No unread news".
> >
> > Perhaps all the articles were cancelled?
>
> No, I encounter a similar problem from time to time in gnus 5.6.2. Gnus
> shows me in the group summary buffer, that there are x new articles in
> a group, but doesn't display them at all, when I enter the certain
> group. But there are definitly on my system, because I can access them
> in tin or any other newsreader.

That's exactly what I see as well, with tin I can read without any problem.

Kris,

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-19 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefanie Teufel <s.teufel@ndh.net> writes:

> No, I encounter a similar problem from time to time in gnus 5.6.2. Gnus
> shows me in the group summary buffer, that there are x new articles in
> a group, but doesn't display them at all, when I enter the certain
> group. But there are definitly on my system, because I can access them
> in tin or any other newsreader.

Hm.  Is this with nntp groups or nnspool groups?  And does `/ w' show
any of the missing articles?

* Re: Gnus 5.5 not displaying new articles in group
@ 1998-03-19 15:16       ` Stefanie Teufel
From: Stefanie Teufel @ 1998-03-19 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 19, 1998 at 01:10:06PM +0100, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
wrote:
> Stefanie Teufel <s.teufel@ndh.net> writes:
>
> > No, I encounter a similar problem from time to time in gnus 5.6.2.
> > Gnus shows me in the group summary buffer, that there are x new
> > articles in a group, but doesn't display them at all, when I enter
> > the certain group. But there are definitly on my system, because I
> > can access them in tin or any other newsreader.
>
> Hm.  Is this with nntp groups or nnspool groups?  And does / w' show
> any of the missing articles?

It is with nnspool groups. My gnus.el looks like the following:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "diabolo.ndh.net"))
(setq gnus-refer-article-method '(nntp "diabolo.ndh.net"))
(setq nnspool-inews-program '"/usr/bin/inews")
(setq nnspool-spool-directory '"/var/spool/news"
      nnspool-lib-dir '"/var/lib/news"
      nnspool-nov-directory '"/var/spool/news/over.view"
      nnspool-active-file '"/var/lib/news/active"
      nnspool-active-times-file '"/var/lib/news/active.times"
      nnspool-history-file '"/var/lib/news/history")
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnml "stefanie"
              (nnml-directory "~/mail/")
              (nnml-active-file "~/mail/active")
              (nnml-newsgroups-file "~/mail/newsgroups"))))
(setq gnus-article-save-directory "~/news/")
(setq gnus-directory       "~/news/"
      gnus-home-score-file 'gnus-hierarchial-home-score-file
      nnml-directory       "~/mail/"
      nnml-active-file     "~/mail/active"
      nnml-newsgroups-file "~/mail/newsgroups")
(setq gnus-kill-files-directory (concat gnus-directory "score/"))

To press "/ w" seems to have no effect. The only thing I can do, is to
leave the group and use "c". The next time at least the new
messages are available.

Stefanie, as always without a clue...

* Re: Gnus 5.5 not displaying new articles in group
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-20 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefanie Teufel <s.teufel@ndh.net> writes:

> > > No, I encounter a similar problem from time to time in gnus 5.6.2.
> > > Gnus shows me in the group summary buffer, that there are x new
> > > articles in a group, but doesn't display them at all, when I enter
> > > the certain group. But there are definitly on my system, because I
> > > can access them in tin or any other newsreader.
> >
> > Hm.  Is this with nntp groups or nnspool groups?  And does / w' show
> > any of the missing articles?
>
> It is with nnspool groups.

Right.  And the news spool is mounted over NFS?  Then you are
experiencing the Emacs `directory-files' bug.  It also means that
nnspool doesn't find the .overview files for the group.

* Re: Gnus 5.5 not displaying new articles in group
@ 1998-03-20 18:10           ` Stefanie Teufel
From: Stefanie Teufel @ 1998-03-20 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 20, 1998 at 06:48:44PM +0100, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> > > Hm.  Is this with nntp groups or nnspool groups?  And does / w' show
> > > any of the missing articles?
> >
> > It is with nnspool groups.
>
> Right.  And the news spool is mounted over NFS?  Then you are

Nope. Perhaps I don't understanding you correctly, but my newsspool
resides on a normal Linux native partition and I am running leafnode 1.4.
as my local newsserver, because it's only a single user system. I read
about problems relating to leafnode, though I thought they just occured
with earlier versions?

> experiencing the Emacs `directory-files' bug.  It also means that
> nnspool doesn't find the .overview files for the group.

No, I never encounter any problems with my .overview files or to put it
so I was never aware of any.

still with articles in gnus missing,

Stefanie

* Re: Gnus 5.5 not displaying new articles in group
@ 1998-03-21 18:59             ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-03-21 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Nope. Perhaps I don't understanding you correctly, but my newsspool
> resides on a normal Linux native partition and I am running leafnode 1.4.
> as my local newsserver, because it's only a single user system. I read
> about problems relating to leafnode, though I thought they just occured
> with earlier versions?

If you read a newsspool maintained with leafnode, using nnspool, how
does leafnode know what to fetch, and what to continue to fetch?

* Re: Gnus 5.5 not displaying new articles in group
@ 1998-03-21 22:09               ` Stefanie Teufel
From: Stefanie Teufel @ 1998-03-21 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Mar 21, 1998 at 07:59:57PM +0100, Steinar Bang wrote:

> > Nope. Perhaps I don't understanding you correctly, but my newsspool
> > resides on a normal Linux native partition and I am running leafnode 1.4.
> > as my local newsserver, because it's only a single user system. I read
> > about problems relating to leafnode, though I thought they just occured
> > with earlier versions?
>
> If you read a newsspool maintained with leafnode, using nnspool, how
> does leafnode know what to fetch, and what to continue to fetch?

Leafnode itself is the NNTP server. It talks to your news client, and
stores readership data. Fetch (which comes with leafnode) is the NNTP
news-gatherer. It looks at the readership data Leafnode stores, and
selects what groups to pull news from.

In addition /var/spool/news contains the news articles with
subdirectories for each group. Each of these directories contain the
articles in numbered files (decimal numbers, monotonically increasing),
and the .overview-file which contains the "Subject", "From", "Date",
"Message-ID", "References", "Bytes" and "Lines" headers for each
article in the group.

Excuse my poor English, but I hope I could make myself clear.

happy weekend,

Stefanie

* Re: Gnus 5.5 not displaying new articles in group
@ 1998-03-22 17:55                 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-03-22 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> > Nope. Perhaps I don't understanding you correctly, but my newsspool
>> > resides on a normal Linux native partition and I am running leafnode 1.4.
>> > as my local newsserver, because it's only a single user system. I read
>> > about problems relating to leafnode, though I thought they just occured
>> > with earlier versions?
>>
>> If you read a newsspool maintained with leafnode, using nnspool, how
>> does leafnode know what to fetch, and what to continue to fetch?

> Leafnode itself is the NNTP server. It talks to your news client, and
> stores readership data. Fetch (which comes with leafnode) is the NNTP
> news-gatherer. It looks at the readership data Leafnode stores, and
> selects what groups to pull news from.

[snip!]

I know this.  What I meant was:

If you read the leafnode news spool using nnspool, rather than the
nntp back end, how will "fetch" know what to fetch?

* Re: Gnus 5.5 not displaying new articles in group
@ 1998-03-22 18:37                 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-03-22 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Steinar Bang, ding

  Steinar> If you read a newsspool maintained with leafnode, using nnspool, how
  Steinar> does leafnode know what to fetch, and what to continue to fetch?

  Stefanie> Leafnode itself is the NNTP server. It talks to your news
  Stefanie> client, and stores readership data. Fetch (which comes
  Stefanie> with leafnode) is the NNTP news-gatherer. It looks at the
  Stefanie> readership data Leafnode stores, and selects what groups
  Stefanie> to pull news from.

Yes, but if you read your news using nnspool, leafnode will never know
about it!

fetch does not fetch groups which haven't been read for a week (or
so), and the only program that knows whether something has been read
is leafnode, because it gets the GROUP and ARTICLE commands.  And
leafnode is the program that stores the data so fetch knows what to
fetch.

I try to defeat this mechanism by having a cron job which runs touch
on those files in /var/spool/news/interesting.groups which are
relevant for me.  Maybe you're doing this too, Stefanie?

Or are you reading your news using nntp rather than nnspool?

kai
--
Really cancel?   [OK]  [Cancel]

* Re: Gnus 5.5 not displaying new articles in group
@ 1998-03-22 18:53                   ` Stefanie Teufel
From: Stefanie Teufel @ 1998-03-22 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Steinar Bang, ding

On Sun, Mar 22, 1998 at 07:37:21PM +0100, Kai Grossjohann wrote:

> I try to defeat this mechanism by having a cron job which runs touch
> on those files in /var/spool/news/interesting.groups which are
> relevant for me.  Maybe you're doing this too, Stefanie?

Yep, but I do it in a much more unelegant matter. I have a "touch
/var/spool/news/interesting.groups/*" in my rc.local...

Stefanie

* Re: Gnus 5.5 not displaying new articles in group
@ 1998-03-23 13:14             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-23 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefanie Teufel <s.teufel@ndh.net> writes:

> > experiencing the Emacs `directory-files' bug.  It also means that
> > nnspool doesn't find the .overview files for the group.
>
> No, I never encounter any problems with my .overview files or to put it
> so I was never aware of any.

Does the file returned by

(nnheader-group-pathname
 nnspool-current-group nnspool-nov-directory ".overview")

when you are in a group exist?  And why not?