* No way to make a given single article un-unseen !
@ 2012-04-24  3:27 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2012-04-24  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Gentlemen, in (info "(gnus) Other Marks")

   * Articles that haven't been seen before in Gnus by the user are
     marked with a `.' in the second column (`gnus-unseen-mark').

But ah ha, there is no way to reverse this going away for a given single
article! You have now seen it, and next time you enter the group its
unseen mark is gone, with no way to get it back for one given single article!
But why would you want it back? Don't ask such questions, just make
there be a way!

* Re: No way to make a given single article un-unseen !
@ 2012-04-24  4:19 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2012-04-24  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
> Gentlemen, in (info "(gnus) Other Marks")

>    * Articles that haven't been seen before in Gnus by the user are
>      marked with a `.' in the second column (`gnus-unseen-mark').

> But ah ha, there is no way to reverse this going away for a given single
> article! You have now seen it, and next time you enter the group its
> unseen mark is gone, with no way to get it back for one given single article!
> But why would you want it back? Don't ask such questions, just make
> there be a way!

I don't know why, but unseen articles are labeled as `seen' when
exiting a group:

(defun gnus-update-marks ()
[...]
	(when (eq (cdr type) 'seen)
	  (setq list (gnus-range-add list gnus-newsgroup-unseen)))

Entering a group may mean a user sees unseen articles (at least
those subjects or existence).  I vaguely think it would be
convenient to make the unseen marks remain unless those bodies
have been read, though.

* Re: No way to make a given single article un-unseen !
@ 2012-04-24  5:19   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2012-04-24  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:19:46 +0900, Katsumi wrote:

> I vaguely think it would be convenient to make the unseen marks remain
> unless those bodies have been read, though.

Wouldn't that make "seen" (~"has it ever been shown in a summary") equal
to "read" (~"has the article been displayed")?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "You have to photosynthesize"                                Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: No way to make a given single article un-unseen !
@ 2012-04-24  9:03     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2012-04-24  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Adam Sjøgren wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:19:46 +0900, Katsumi wrote:
>> I vaguely think it would be convenient to make the unseen marks remain
>> unless those bodies have been read, though.

> Wouldn't that make "seen" (~"has it ever been shown in a summary") equal
> to "read" (~"has the article been displayed")?

Though I don't know what one who introduced `seen' and `unseen'
intended, I think there are two kinds of unread articles.  One
is read only at a glance but marked as unread to read throughly
in the future, and the other has never been read at all.  The
former is a business mail that is troublesome to read but should
never ignore, for example.  To mark it as ticked differs; that is
used for the future reference.  So, I wish there were two kinds
of unread marks, and guessed `seen' and `unseen' may possibly be
able to be the very things.

* Re: No way to make a given single article un-unseen !
@ 2012-04-24  9:51       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2012-04-24  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Though I don't know what one who introduced `seen' and `unseen'
> intended,

I think the idea is to position the cursor at the first of the unread
articles that have arrived since the last time you visited that
particular group.

Eg. position you at the newly arrived message that made you enter a
particular nnimap group, because you saw the unread count increase.

* Re: No way to make a given single article un-unseen !
@ 2012-04-24 10:00       ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2012-04-24 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 18:03:42 +0900, Katsumi wrote:

> Though I don't know what one who introduced `seen' and `unseen'
> intended, I think there are two kinds of unread articles.  One
> is read only at a glance but marked as unread to read throughly
> in the future, and the other has never been read at all.  The
> former is a business mail that is troublesome to read but should
> never ignore, for example.

Ok, I would just be wary of hi-jacking the 'seen/unseen' marks to add an
extra level of "readness", as the seen/unseen logic has functionality
attached (as Steinar Bang noted).

  Best regards,

    Adam

--

@ 2012-04-24 10:44         ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2012-04-24 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Adam Sjøgren wrote:
> Ok, I would just be wary of hi-jacking the 'seen/unseen' marks to add an
> extra level of "readness", as the seen/unseen logic has functionality
> attached (as Steinar Bang noted).

I see.  Steinar Bang made it clear.  Thanks.

* Re: No way to make a given single article un-unseen !
@ 2012-04-25 12:27           ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2012-04-25 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm happy with everything, except the fact that there is no way to mark
them back to unseen !

* Re: No way to make a given single article un-unseen !
@ 2012-04-25 18:34             ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2012-04-25 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, Apr 25 2012, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

> I'm happy with everything, except the fact that there is no way to mark
> them back to unseen !

There is a way: move the article to the same group with
`gnus-summary-move-article' (B-m).

--
           Peter

* Re: No way to make a given single article un-unseen !
@ 2012-04-25 19:20             ` Carson Chittom
From: Carson Chittom @ 2012-04-25 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> I'm happy with everything, except the fact that there is no way to mark
> them back to unseen !

I've thought, and I can't think of a reason somebody would want to do
this (doesn't mean your reason is wrong, just that I haven't thought of
it).  Would you mind enlightening me?

* Re: No way to make a given single article un-unseen !
@ 2012-05-07  4:02               ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2012-05-07  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: carson; +Cc: ding

CC> jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

>> I'm happy with everything, except the fact that there is no way to mark
>> them back to unseen !

CC> I've thought, and I can't think of a reason somebody would want to do
CC> this (doesn't mean your reason is wrong, just that I haven't thought of
CC> it).  Would you mind enlightening me?

You enter a group and then immediately get a phone call that the
Minister is already waiting at the airport. You've got to go.
You wished you never entered the group and you want to start again just
as things were when you get back next week.

>There is a way: move the article to the same group with
>`gnus-summary-move-article' (B-m).
Too hack-like.

* Re: No way to make a given single article un-unseen !
@ 2012-06-10 20:33                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-06-10 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: carson, ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> You enter a group and then immediately get a phone call that the
> Minister is already waiting at the airport. You've got to go.

`Q'.