* group parameter : display
@ 2011-09-05  6:07 Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2011-09-05  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I have two questions about the "display" group parameter.

From info:

,----
| display
| Elements that look like (display . MODE) say which articles to display on entering the group. Valid values are:
| all
| Display all articles, both read and unread.
| an integer
| Display the last integer articles in the group. This is the same as entering the group with C-u integer.
| default
| Display the default visible articles, which normally includes unread and ticked articles.
| an array
| Display articles that satisfy a predicate.
| Here are some examples:
|
| [unread]
| Display only unread articles.
| [not expire]
| Display everything except expirable articles.
| [and (not reply) (not expire)]
| Display everything except expirable and articles you've already responded to.
| The available operators are not, and and or. Predicates include tick, unsend, undownload, unread, dormant, expire, reply, killed, bookmark, score, save, cache, forward, unseen and recent.
`----

 * What articles does the "recent" predicate match ?

 * I can't get the "array" mode to work. When I set it to
,----
| (display . [and (tick) (dormant) (recent)])
`----

or even

,----
|  (display . [and (tick) (dormant)])
`----

gnus asks for the number of articles to display upon entering.

Julien.

* Re: group parameter : display
@ 2011-09-05 12:45 ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2011-09-05 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I have two questions about the "display" group parameter.
> From info:

[...]

>  * What articles does the "recent" predicate match ?

No idea.  I don't see any reference to it in the manual.

>  * I can't get the "array" mode to work. When I set it to

> ,----
> | (display . [and (tick) (dormant) (recent)])
> `----

> or even

> ,----
> |  (display . [and (tick) (dormant)])
> `----

> gnus asks for the number of articles to display upon entering.

Get rid of the parentheses.  (display . [and unseen unread]) works for me.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: group parameter : display
@ 2011-09-05 14:24   ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2011-09-05 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

david.goldberg6@verizon.net (Dave Goldberg) writes:

>> ,----
>> |  (display . [and (tick) (dormant)])
>> `----
>
>> gnus asks for the number of articles to display upon entering.
>
> Get rid of the parentheses.  (display . [and unseen unread]) works for me.

It doesn't for me :  (display . [or tick unseen]) prompts me for the
number of articles to display even though I have ticked articles in the
group.

Julien.

* Re: group parameter : display
@ 2011-09-05 22:04     ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2011-09-05 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> david.goldberg6@verizon.net (Dave Goldberg) writes:
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>
>>> gnus asks for the number of articles to display upon entering.
>>
>> Get rid of the parentheses.  (display . [and unseen unread]) works for me.

> It doesn't for me :  (display . [or tick unseen]) prompts me for the
> number of articles to display even though I have ticked articles in the
> group.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? By default ticked and otherwise unread (including unseen) articles are displayed.  I only do my trick so I can get at everything else with / w instead of having to reenter the group.  Most of my groups are kept small enough that the time to enter isn't hampered by loading everything up front, and in the rare case I worry about that I just enter it with a numeric prefix to limit the articles loaded.

If you're just trying to get rid of the prompt, try setting gnus-large-newsgroup to nil.

Otherwise I don't know.  Maybe something in the difference between use of and vs or.

--

@ 2011-09-10 20:01 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-09-10 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: ding

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

>  * What articles does the "recent" predicate match ?

I have no idea.  Could it have been something to do with the old version
of nnimap.el, perhaps?

I can see several usages of `gnus-newsgroup-recent', but I can't see
that it gets set any place.  So I'll remove that and all mentions of the
concept now.