* gnus-article-update-date-headers and mouse-select conflict
@ 2011-03-11  8:06 Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2011-03-11  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

When I use the mouse to select a few lines from an email message, to
copy it to another buffer, what I actually paste is the email message
from the "updated date header" to the end of the mouse-made selection.

Bug?

* Re: gnus-article-update-date-headers and mouse-select conflict
@ 2011-03-15 16:00 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-15 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:

> When I use the mouse to select a few lines from an email message, to
> copy it to another buffer, what I actually paste is the email message
> from the "updated date header" to the end of the mouse-made selection.

I seem to be unable to reproduce this, either.  (There's a similar bug
report that I've been trying to reproduce for quite a while.)

Hm.  What's your value for `transient-mark-mode'?

* Re: gnus-article-update-date-headers and mouse-select conflict
@ 2011-03-15 16:10   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-15 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:00:24 +0100 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> writes:
>> When I use the mouse to select a few lines from an email message, to
>> copy it to another buffer, what I actually paste is the email message
>> from the "updated date header" to the end of the mouse-made selection.

LMI> I seem to be unable to reproduce this, either.  (There's a similar bug
LMI> report that I've been trying to reproduce for quite a while.)

LMI> Hm.  What's your value for `transient-mark-mode'?

I tested this and it happens sometimes for me in a new message.  If I
set the mark explicitly with `C-SPC' it doesn't happen.  I think
`transient-mark-mode' somehow doesn't get taken into account and the
region becomes the interval between (point-min) and the beginning of the
transient-mark region.

`transient-mark-mode' for me is t.

Ted

* Re: gnus-article-update-date-headers and mouse-select conflict
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-15 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I tested this and it happens sometimes for me in a new message.  If I
> set the mark explicitly with `C-SPC' it doesn't happen.  I think
> `transient-mark-mode' somehow doesn't get taken into account and the
> region becomes the interval between (point-min) and the beginning of the
> transient-mark region.

You wouldn't hazard a guess as to why this happens when the text in the
buffer is changed from a timer function?  :-)

* Re: gnus-article-update-date-headers and mouse-select conflict
@ 2011-03-15 18:09       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-15 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 18:45:13 +0100 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> I tested this and it happens sometimes for me in a new message.  If I
>> set the mark explicitly with `C-SPC' it doesn't happen.  I think
>> `transient-mark-mode' somehow doesn't get taken into account and the
>> region becomes the interval between (point-min) and the beginning of the
>> transient-mark region.

LMI> You wouldn't hazard a guess as to why this happens when the text in the
LMI> buffer is changed from a timer function?  :-)

Nope, no idea.  That part of the Emacs code is like Cthulu's diary.

Ted

* Re: gnus-article-update-date-headers and mouse-select conflict
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-03-15 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Nope, no idea.  That part of the Emacs code is like Cthulu's diary.

It is, but it really wants fixing.  I'll try to get around to debugging
this later this week, unless somebody beats me to it.  Now that I know
how to reliably reproduce it, it should just be a matter of
... edebugging through all of Emacs's internals.  Yay!

(If I "forget" to do this, please remind me.  :-)