* Moving emails around groups woes/problems
@ 2010-11-05  9:36 Leonidas Tsampros
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2010-11-05  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

on my production machine running Gnus v5.13, I face the following situation
which might be familiar to some of you or even fixed in No Gnus:

nnml:INBOX, 801 emails after compacting. All read some answered,
some forwarded. Group has been compacted. Pressing RET on the
group does prompt for N number of articles and displayes the
correct number of articles. G E information follows:

("nnml:mail.INBOX" 3
 ((1 . 809))
 ((seen
   (790 . 809))
  (forward 530 549 618)
  (reply 425
	 (496 . 497)
	 511 519
	 (531 . 532)
	 (534 . 535)
	 (540 . 541)
	 547 552 629 686 690 751
	 (768 . 769)))
 "nnml:")

I move 1 read email (id 805) with B m to another group. Let's get at G E
output:

("nnml:mail.INBOX" 3
 ((1 . 809))
 ((seen
   (790 . 809))
  (forward 530 549 618)
  (reply 425
	 (496 . 497)
	 511 519
	 (531 . 532)
	 (534 . 535)
	 (540 . 541)
	 547 552 629 686 690 751
	 (768 . 769)))
 "nnml:")

Voila. Nothing changed. I think this behaviour of B m is fairly wrong
since moving a message should have updated this information. The total
message count HAS changed.

The same happens with the old nnimap. I got frustated because all
of a suddenly message counts were wrong, and when prompted with
how many messages I wanted to be fetched (e.g. 20) that didn't
work.

For example: nnimap:exchange-server:INBOX. All mail
read. Pressing RET on the group actually prompts me how many
messages to fetch from the group (displaying a wrong total of 592
while actually having around 440): I type 20, press RET, and only
6 messages are displayed in my summary buffer, cause well the
other 14 do not exist any more in this group.

Anyway, do you consider this behaviour as erroneous or not?

Thanks,
Leonidas

* Re: Moving emails around groups woes/problems
@ 2010-11-08 20:34 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-08 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> writes:

> Anyway, do you consider this behaviour as erroneous or not?

It's not erroneous.  Gnus simply doesn't keep track of whether an
article exists or not.

* Re: Moving emails around groups woes/problems
@ 2010-11-09 14:36   ` Leonidas Tsampros
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2010-11-09 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> writes:
>
>> Anyway, do you consider this behaviour as erroneous or not?
>
> It's not erroneous.  Gnus simply doesn't keep track of whether an
> article exists or not.

I understand that message counts are not *that important* however it is
an annoyance to me. So, do you believe that having some kind of support
for this would make sense for specific backends like nnml? (which
support article moving)

One work around I have tried so far is Compacting the group, however,
currently I'm a little bit afraid of using it since
a) it can be slow on large groups
b) it can have bad effects especially if something goes wrong
c) it does not work on nnimap :)

* Re: Moving emails around groups woes/problems
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-09 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> writes:

> I understand that message counts are not *that important* however it is
> an annoyance to me. So, do you believe that having some kind of support
> for this would make sense for specific backends like nnml?

Yes, it would make sense for all non-nntp newsgroups.  Implementing it
is just a small matter of programming.