* what's gnus-use-backend-marks for?
@ 2010-09-25 21:11 Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2010-09-25 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

The docs say:

  If non-nil, Gnus will store and retrieve marks from the backends.
  This means that marks will be stored both in .newsrc.eld and in
  the backend, and will slow operation down somewhat.

The default value is nil.  But for IMAP, will Gnus still store the
maps in the backend?  Or do I need to set this?

If this is t, should it say something about which set of marks takes
precedence?

And how does this relate to nnfolder-marks-is-evil?

(And the docs should probably say what happens when the variable is
nil.  Presumably the marks are stored only in the .newsrc.eld, right?)

Dan

* Re: what's gnus-use-backend-marks for?
@ 2010-09-25 21:15 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-25 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:

> The docs say:
>
>   If non-nil, Gnus will store and retrieve marks from the backends.
>   This means that marks will be stored both in .newsrc.eld and in
>   the backend, and will slow operation down somewhat.
>
> The default value is nil.  But for IMAP, will Gnus still store the
> maps in the backend?

Yes.  It's for other backends that store marks locally.

> If this is t, should it say something about which set of marks takes
> precedence?
>
> And how does this relate to nnfolder-marks-is-evil?

It's the same thing, only Gnus-wide.

> (And the docs should probably say what happens when the variable is
> nil.  Presumably the marks are stored only in the .newsrc.eld, right?)

Yes, the marks are always stored in the .newsrc.eld...