* Broken display of imap groups containing umlauts in group buffer
@ 2005-09-08 15:22 Martin Monsorno
From: Martin Monsorno @ 2005-09-08 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 661 bytes --]

Hi,

my group buffer looks like this:

[ Gnus -- 0 ]
  [ misc -- 0 ]
        INBOX                                        * /     0
        Billing                                      * /     0
        Bugs                                         * /     0
        Archiv                                       * /     0
        Entwürfe                                  * /     0
        Gelöscht                                  * /     0

The last two folder names are "Entwürfe" and "Gelöscht" on my imap
account.

  (standard-display-european t)

fixes this but leads to problems with file-encoding stuff.

--
Martin

* Re: Broken display of imap groups containing umlauts in group buffer
@ 2006-04-13  9:32 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2006-04-13  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Monsorno <monsorno@gmx.de> writes:

> The last two folder names are "Entwürfe" and "Gelöscht" on my imap
> account.

I get the same thing with a group with the "ä" character in it.

It seems the culprit is this:

       (let ((gnus-tmp-decoded-group (gnus-group-name-decode
				      gnus-tmp-group group-name-charset)))
	 (eval gnus-group-line-format-spec)))

It adds a \201 to the character for me.  At this point,
`group-name-charset' is `iso-8859-1' and
the group name is "nnml:Kvinnofängelset".

(gnus-group-name-decode "nnml:Kvinnofängelset" 'iso-8859-1)
=> "nnml:Kvinnof\x81ängelset"

Which can't be right.

(I'm getting an awful sense of deja vu here.  Again!)