* bug in nnfolder-request-expire-articles
@ 2006-02-21 12:09 Max Froumentin
From: Max Froumentin @ 2006-02-21 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

nnfolder.el CVS-7.16 (i.e. latest as of this email)

nnfolder-request-expire-articles has a comment that says:

      ;; Since messages are sorted in arrival order and expired in the
      ;; same order, we can stop as soon as we find a message that is
      ;; too old.

That's not true in some (admittedly twisted, but it happened to me)
circumstances: the messages are sorted in arrival order, but that
doesn't mean that they are sorted in date order.  What happened to me
is that I mistakenly set my computer's date months ahead in the
future, and received some emails, then realised my mistake and
corrected the system's date. That meant that the messages were indeed
sorted in arrival order but not by date.

When nnfolder-request-expire-articles expired articles, it found the
first in arrival order wasn't to be expired, because it wasn't old enough,
and thus it stopped and never checked the next articles.

The best fix would be along the lines of sorting the expirable
articles by date and not by number in
gnus-summary-expire-articles. But it would be slower, and I don't know
if we should bother given the small importance of the bug (it always
resolves eventually, as soon as the first article in the list becomes
expirable, and it only becomes an annoyance if the date has been off
by a long time).

Max.

* Re: bug in nnfolder-request-expire-articles
@ 2006-04-12  5:57 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2006-04-12  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Max Froumentin <max@lapin-bleu.net> writes:

> The best fix would be along the lines of sorting the expirable
> articles by date and not by number in
> gnus-summary-expire-articles. But it would be slower, and I don't know
> if we should bother given the small importance of the bug (it always
> resolves eventually, as soon as the first article in the list becomes
> expirable, and it only becomes an annoyance if the date has been off
> by a long time).

Yeah, I think this isn't a bug that worth fixing, because it'll happen
rarely, the fix means slowing things down for everyone, and it
resolves itself eventually.