* cache shadows postings after article number reset
@ 2005-02-22 23:52 Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2005-02-22 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

one of my newsservers recently reset article numbers. For a particular
group, the numbers are in the 500,000-510,000 range, but from the "old
times", I have an article in the 800,000 range in the cache for that
group. Any new articles arriving with a lower number aren't shown by
Gnus.

Are there any settings I can change to overcome this? Or can I just
"move down" article numbers in the cache? Do I need to regenerate
indexes or something after renaming for instance 876,543 to 12,345?

TIA,

--
Matthias Andree

* Re: cache shadows postings after article number reset
@ 2005-02-24 16:27 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-02-24 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 23 2005, Matthias Andree wrote:

> one of my newsservers recently reset article numbers. For a particular
> group, the numbers are in the 500,000-510,000 range, but from the "old
> times", I have an article in the 800,000 range in the cache for that
> group. Any new articles arriving with a lower number aren't shown by
> Gnus.

I'm afraid you need to do `M c' (gnus-group-clear-data [1]) steps for
the relevant groups.  See also (info "(gnus)Changing Servers").

> Are there any settings I can change to overcome this? Or can I just
> "move down" article numbers in the cache? Do I need to regenerate
> indexes or something after renaming for instance 876,543 to 12,345?

I doubt that this would work.  The numbers are stored in the group
info (see `G E', gnus-group-edit-group, <Group> <Edit> <Info>).  You
probably need to change the numbers there.  I don't know what else is
required.  Maybe some nntp marks related stuff.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] The command `gnus-group-clear-data' obeys the process/prefix
    convention which is not mentioned in its doc string.  (Fixed in
    v5-10.)
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: cache shadows postings after article number reset
@ 2005-02-25  0:02   ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2005-02-25  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm afraid you need to do `M c' (gnus-group-clear-data [1]) steps for
> the relevant groups.  See also (info "(gnus)Changing Servers").

"Doesnt werk"[tm] - the cached article with the high number...

>> Are there any settings I can change to overcome this? Or can I just
>> "move down" article numbers in the cache? Do I need to regenerate
>> indexes or something after renaming for instance 876,543 to 12,345?

...makes Gnus think it had seen all articles of 876,543 regardless of
the current range on the server. The problem appears to be with the cache.

> I doubt that this would work.  The numbers are stored in the group
> info (see `G E', gnus-group-edit-group, <Group> <Edit> <Info>).  You
> probably need to change the numbers there.  I don't know what else is
> required.  Maybe some nntp marks related stuff.
>
> Bye, Reiner.
>
> [1] The command `gnus-group-clear-data' obeys the process/prefix
>     convention which is not mentioned in its doc string.  (Fixed in
>     v5-10.)

"No Gnus" here.

--

@ 2005-02-25 22:47 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2005-02-25 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> one of my newsservers recently reset article numbers. For a particular
> group, the numbers are in the 500,000-510,000 range, but from the "old
> times", I have an article in the 800,000 range in the cache for that
> group. Any new articles arriving with a lower number aren't shown by
> Gnus.
>
> Are there any settings I can change to overcome this? Or can I just
> "move down" article numbers in the cache? Do I need to regenerate
> indexes or something after renaming for instance 876,543 to 12,345?

A couple of options exist.

The easiest is to simply delete the agent directory for the group.
You'll loose all of your off-line content.

The next harder is to open the agent directory.  Delete the file named
.overview then rename each article file to its new number.  When
you're done, go to the summary buffer, position point on the group in
question then enter M-x gnus-agent-regenerate-group<ret>.  This will
preserve your off-line articles but you have to fetch the active
headers.

Kevin

* Re: cache shadows postings after article number reset
@ 2005-02-26  2:26   ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2005-02-26  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kevin Greiner <kevin.greiner@vignette.com> writes:

> Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> one of my newsservers recently reset article numbers. For a particular
>> group, the numbers are in the 500,000-510,000 range, but from the "old
>> times", I have an article in the 800,000 range in the cache for that
>> group. Any new articles arriving with a lower number aren't shown by
>> Gnus.
>>
>> Are there any settings I can change to overcome this? Or can I just
>> "move down" article numbers in the cache? Do I need to regenerate
>> indexes or something after renaming for instance 876,543 to 12,345?
>
> A couple of options exist.
>
> The easiest is to simply delete the agent directory for the group.
> You'll loose all of your off-line content.

Not agentised, but articles cached (saved, archived) with the [*] key.

> The next harder is to open the agent directory.  Delete the file named
> .overview then rename each article file to its new number.  When
> you're done, go to the summary buffer, position point on the group in
> question then enter M-x gnus-agent-regenerate-group<ret>.  This will
> preserve your off-line articles but you have to fetch the active
> headers.

Will consider that next time. Thanks.

--
Matthias Andree