* gnus-cite-parse terribly slow on underscores
@ 2002-01-29  8:35 Christoph Rohland
From: Christoph Rohland @ 2002-01-29  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Folks,

I am running Oort Gnus v0.05
XEmacs 21.4 (patch 4) "Artificial Intelligence" [Lucid] (i386-suse-linux, Mule) of Mon Sep 24 2001 on lhospital

Since upgrading to ognus I had a lot of problems with some mailing
lists and several other mails.

Displaying these mails did take a really long time or locked up
totally. After a while I did get the pattern: They all had signatures
with a lot of underscores like e.g. yahoo adds.

I then did debug-on-quit and realised that gnus-cite-parse did lockup
in (looking-at gnus-supercite-regexp) or taking a long time in
(re-search-forward prefix-regexp (1- end) t).

Since I realised the underscore in the messages I examined
message-cite-prefix-regexp and gnus-supercite-regexp and noticed the
following common pattern: \(\w\|[-_.]\)+ and modified it to
\(\w\|[-.]\)+ and AHA! now it works.

I do not understand all the interactions, but at least in my xemacs _
is covered by \w and apparently this messes up looking-at and
re-search-forward. Perhaps it is a bug in my xemacs since its info
says:

,----
|    The XEmacs regular expression syntax most closely resembles that of
| `ed', or `grep', the GNU versions of which all utilize the GNU `regex'
| library.  XEmacs' version of `regex' has recently been extended with
| some Perl-like capabilities, described in the next section.
`----

Any insight?

Greetings
		Christoph

* Re: gnus-cite-parse terribly slow on underscores
@ 2002-01-29 22:08 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-01-29 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph Rohland <cr@sap.com> writes:

[...]

> I do not understand all the interactions, but at least in my xemacs _
> is covered by \w and apparently this messes up looking-at and
> re-search-forward. Perhaps it is a bug in my xemacs since its info
> says:
>
> ,----
> |    The XEmacs regular expression syntax most closely resembles that of
> | `ed', or `grep', the GNU versions of which all utilize the GNU `regex'
> | library.  XEmacs' version of `regex' has recently been extended with
> | some Perl-like capabilities, described in the next section.
> `----
>
> Any insight?

By default, underline is not a word constituent in
text-mode-syntax-table, at least in my copy of Emacs and XEmacs.  If
you modified text-mode-syntax-table, you have to change
message-cite-prefix-regexp too.

I committed a fix to auto-detect word constituents in message.el. Hope
that works.

ShengHuo

* Re: gnus-cite-parse terribly slow on underscores
@ 2002-01-30 16:13   ` Christoph Rohland
From: Christoph Rohland @ 2002-01-30 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi ShengHuo,

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, ShengHuo ZHU wrote:
> By default, underline is not a word constituent in
> text-mode-syntax-table, at least in my copy of Emacs and XEmacs.  If
> you modified text-mode-syntax-table, you have to change
> message-cite-prefix-regexp too.

No, text-mode-syntax-table is the same as in an xemacs -q session.

@ 2002-01-31  3:26     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-01-31  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph Rohland <cr@sap.com> writes:

> Hi ShengHuo,
>
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, ShengHuo ZHU wrote:
>> By default, underline is not a word constituent in
>> text-mode-syntax-table, at least in my copy of Emacs and XEmacs.  If
>> you modified text-mode-syntax-table, you have to change
>> message-cite-prefix-regexp too.
>
> No, text-mode-syntax-table is the same as in an xemacs -q session.

What does the evaluation of the following lines return?

    (with-syntax-table text-mode-syntax-table
        (string-match "\\w" "_"))

ShengHuo

* Re: gnus-cite-parse terribly slow on underscores
@ 2002-01-31  9:35       ` Christoph Rohland
From: Christoph Rohland @ 2002-01-31  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi ShengHuo,

0

@ 2002-01-31 13:41         ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2002-01-31 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christoph Rohland <cr@sap.com> writes:

> Hi ShengHuo,
>
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, ShengHuo ZHU wrote:
>> What does the evaluation of the following lines return?
>>
>>     (with-syntax-table text-mode-syntax-table
>>         (string-match "\\w" "_"))
>
> 0

What I got in XEmacs (or Emacs) is nil, which means that underscores
are not constituents of words.  Anyway, the change I added into
message.el can automatically detect this situation.

ShengHuo

* Re: gnus-cite-parse terribly slow on underscores
@ 2002-02-01 16:52           ` Christoph Rohland
From: Christoph Rohland @ 2002-02-01 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi ShengHuo,

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, ShengHuo ZHU wrote:
> What I got in XEmacs (or Emacs) is nil, which means that underscores
> are not constituents of words.  Anyway, the change I added into
> message.el can automatically detect this situation.

I'll test it.

Thanks

@ 2002-03-13 11:35   ` Christoph Rohland
From: Christoph Rohland @ 2002-03-13 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi ShengHuo,

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, ShengHuo ZHU wrote:
> I committed a fix to auto-detect word constituents in
> message.el. Hope that works.

Took a long time to test this. And yes, it does work.

Thanks
		Christoph