* nndraft lossage and byte-compilation
@ 2001-03-01 23:51 David Z. Maze
From: David Z. Maze @ 2001-03-01 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've run into various random problems with my drafts group; mostly,
I've been completely unable to access it.  This is problematic because
I'm having other local configuration problems which result in my not
being able to send mail in some cases; I'd rather be able to save the
mail than lose it.  C-c C-d seems to work, but I can't access the
draft group at all.  I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this both here and
on gnu.emacs.gnus in the past.

Today, on a whim, I decided to byte-compile my Gnus (couple-day-old
Oort).  And now nndraft works.

The particular thing that prompted me to try this was 'C-h f
nndraft-request-group'.  Now (with the byte-compiled Gnus) it's a
normal function, but before it was defalias'd to 'ignore.  My guess is
that the (eval-when-compile (defalias ...)) is being evaluated when
the uncompiled file is loaded, and nnoo-import is failing to override
that alias with the appropriate nnmh function.  When the compiled file
is loaded, there's no alias, and so calling nnoo-import works.  (This
all makes sense if defaliasing a symbol causes fboundp on it to return
t.)

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell

* Re: nndraft lossage and byte-compilation
@ 2001-03-02  3:27 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-03-02  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David Z. Maze" <dmaze@MIT.EDU> writes:

> I've run into various random problems with my drafts group; mostly,
> I've been completely unable to access it.  This is problematic because
> I'm having other local configuration problems which result in my not
> being able to send mail in some cases; I'd rather be able to save the
> mail than lose it.  C-c C-d seems to work, but I can't access the
> draft group at all.  I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this both here and
> on gnu.emacs.gnus in the past.
>
> Today, on a whim, I decided to byte-compile my Gnus (couple-day-old
> Oort).  And now nndraft works.
>
> The particular thing that prompted me to try this was 'C-h f
> nndraft-request-group'.  Now (with the byte-compiled Gnus) it's a
> normal function, but before it was defalias'd to 'ignore.  My guess is
> that the (eval-when-compile (defalias ...)) is being evaluated when
> the uncompiled file is loaded, and nnoo-import is failing to override
> that alias with the appropriate nnmh function.  When the compiled file
> is loaded, there's no alias, and so calling nnoo-import works.  (This
> all makes sense if defaliasing a symbol causes fboundp on it to return
> t.)

Thank you for your report.  I've checked in a fix.

ShengHuo

* Re: nndraft lossage and byte-compilation
@ 2001-03-02 13:28   ` Charles Sebold
From: Charles Sebold @ 2001-03-02 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6 Adar 5761, ShengHuo ZHU wrote:

> Thank you for your report.  I've checked in a fix.

I don't know if this is related, but using Oort from CVS this morning, I
got this just before the Groups buffer would ordinarily be displayed:

[-- Attachment #2: Gnus backtrace --]

I cleared the nndraft entries from .newsrc.eld - didn't help
immediately, but after restarting Emacs completely everything worked
again.
--
Charles Sebold
Random Answer to a Gnus Very Frequently Asked Question:

had to use hammer to free stuck disk drive heads

* Re: nndraft lossage and byte-compilation
@ 2001-03-02 18:56     ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-03-02 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Charles Sebold <csebold@ezl.com> writes:

> On 6 Adar 5761, ShengHuo ZHU wrote:
>
> > Thank you for your report.  I've checked in a fix.
>
> I don't know if this is related, but using Oort from CVS this morning, I
> got this just before the Groups buffer would ordinarily be displayed:

It seems not related.

> Signaling: (wrong-type-argument stringp nndraft-directory)
>   file-exists-p(nndraft-directory)
>   nndraft-open-server("")
>   nndraft-possibly-change-group("drafts")
>   nndraft-request-create-group("drafts" "" nil)
>   gnus-request-create-group("drafts" (nndraft ""))

What is the value of nndraft-directory ?

ShengHuo

* Re: nndraft lossage and byte-compilation
@ 2001-03-02 19:20       ` Charles Sebold
From: Charles Sebold @ 2001-03-02 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7 Adar 5761, ShengHuo ZHU wrote:

>> Signaling: (wrong-type-argument stringp nndraft-directory)
>>   file-exists-p(nndraft-directory)
>>   nndraft-open-server("")
>>   nndraft-possibly-change-group("drafts")
>>   nndraft-request-create-group("drafts" "" nil)
>>   gnus-request-create-group("drafts" (nndraft ""))
>
> What is the value of nndraft-directory ?

Now it's:

,----[ C-h v nndraft-directory RET ]
| nndraft-directory's value is
| "~/News/drafts/"
`----

Unfortunately I didn't make note of what it was when it failed, sorry.
I'll let you know if it happens again (and try to be more thorough next
time).
--
Charles Sebold
Random Answer to a Gnus Very Frequently Asked Question:
 To change group parameters (including display of old messages), use G c.
--
7th of Adar, 5761