* nnheise?  http://www.heise.de/newsticker
@ 1999-11-26 20:09 Kai Großjohann
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-26 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now that there's nnultimate and nnslashdot, I'm of course looking for
an interface to the Heise Newsticker ;-)  See the above URL.  Wouldn't
it be cool if one could see all the announcements in an easy-to-read
manner?  I guess this would be similar to nnslashdot, now that they
have added the commenting thing.

Btw, the commenting thing leads me to a question: before they added
comments, the natural thing to do would have been to create a single
group where each message is an article.  But if we want to follow the
nnslashdot tradition, we would have to make each news item a group
rather than a message.  But most of these messages only have one or
two comments, so maybe many people just want to read the announcements
rather than the comments...

Thoughts?

kai
--
because I couldn't think of a good beginning.

* Slashdot Comments Only Re: nnheise?  http://www.heise.de/newsticker
@ 1999-11-27  0:23 ` David Maslen
From: David Maslen @ 1999-11-27  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:
> Btw, the commenting thing leads me to a question: before they added
> comments, the natural thing to do would have been to create a single
> group where each message is an article.  But if we want to follow the
> nnslashdot tradition, we would have to make each news item a group
> rather than a message.  But most of these messages only have one or
> two comments, so maybe many people just want to read the announcements
> rather than the comments...

I was excited when nnslashdot was released and tried it. Then I
started reading the comments and decided I didn't have time enough, no
matter how easy gnus made it.

I think a group with just the comments would be sufficient. Probably
even preferable.

* Re: Slashdot Comments Only Re: nnheise?  http://www.heise.de/newsticker
@ 1999-11-27  5:56   ` Andrew J Cosgriff
From: Andrew J Cosgriff @ 1999-11-27  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Maslen wrote :

> I was excited when nnslashdot was released and tried it. Then I
> started reading the comments and decided I didn't have time enough,
> no matter how easy gnus made it.
>
> I think a group with just the comments would be sufficient. Probably
> even preferable.

Just the comments ?  How do you mean ?

I'd just like to see a single group with all the articles, and no
comments (much like reading freshmeat.net via NNTP).

Reading slashdot comments just makes me depressed.

--
Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@polydistortion.net> exterminate all rational thought !
                     biscuit genetics ozone warrior whitey

* Re: nnheise?  http://www.heise.de/newsticker
@ 1999-11-27  8:29 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 1999-11-27  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Now that there's nnultimate and nnslashdot, I'm of course looking for
> an interface to the Heise Newsticker ;-)  See the above URL.

Before writing a parser for that, you should have a look at:

        http://www.heise.de/pda/newsticker/

This is basically the good old layout without any banners etc.

* Re: nnheise?  http://www.heise.de/newsticker
@ 1999-11-27 11:56   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-11-27 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Florian Weimer <fw@s.netic.de> writes:

> Before writing a parser for that, you should have a look at:
>         http://www.heise.de/pda/newsticker/

Nice.  With W3, one can almost read it.

kai
--

@ 1999-11-27 13:12 ` Raymond Scholz
From: Raymond Scholz @ 1999-11-27 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Now that there's nnultimate and nnslashdot, I'm of course looking for
> an interface to the Heise Newsticker ;-)  See the above URL.  Wouldn't
> it be cool if one could see all the announcements in an easy-to-read
> manner?  I guess this would be similar to nnslashdot, now that they
> have added the commenting thing.

Someone reading my thoughts? Yes, although the Newsticker is only in
German language, it's worth thinking about it. The popularity of the
Heise Newsticker in Germany can be compared with SlashDot in the US
(or all over the world).

> Btw, the commenting thing leads me to a question: before they added
> comments, the natural thing to do would have been to create a single
> group where each message is an article.  But if we want to follow the
> nnslashdot tradition, we would have to make each news item a group
> rather than a message.  But most of these messages only have one or
> two comments, so maybe many people just want to read the announcements
> rather than the comments...

This should be adjustable (if possible). Personally, I never read the
commments as they're somhow "uninteresting" (usual OS-discussions,
insults, bla).

Cheers,
  Ray, no lisp hacker, won't do nnheise.el ;)
--
Raymond Scholz -*- rscholz@tzi.de -*- http://www.tzi.de/~rscholz/
FB 3 Informatik, Universität Bremen -*- PGP key available via WWW

* Re: Slashdot Comments Only Re: nnheise?  http://www.heise.de/newsticker
@ 1999-11-27 13:40   ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1999-11-27 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Maslen <david.maslen@iname.com> writes:

> I think a group with just the comments would be sufficient. Probably
> even preferable.

Don't you mean "just the articles"?

Given ./ policy of speed over accuracy, reading the comments can be
necessary to get an idea of what is really going on.