* finally on pgnus, but confused about MIME
@ 1999-10-31 23:22 Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 1999-10-31 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, I attached (C-c C-a) a gif to a message,
then sent it to myself.  Now I get back a buffer that looks like:

    From: merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz)
    Subject: attachment test
    To: merlyn@stonehenge.com
    Date: 31 Oct 1999 15:18:45 -0800

    [2. My Homepage Wizard --- image/gif; wizard.gif]...

How do I get at that "2." thing?

I pressed ^D like I used to, and got down to another message that
looks pretty much like that again!

* Re: finally on pgnus, but confused about MIME
@ 1999-10-31 23:30 ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-10-31 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

> How do I get at that "2." thing?

Because the GIF is technically the second MIME part.  Press `K b', and
you'll understand it.  Press `K C-h' to see what MIME commands are
available.  (Note that the commands take numeric prefix that
corresponds to the number you see.)  Or, you can do the same using the
context-sensitive menu on button3.

The most frequently used MIME command is `b', which "activates" the
MIME part, i.e. shows it inline, runs an external command, whatever is
appropriate.  In your case, pressing `2 b' would display the image as
dictated by your .mailcap file.

* Re: finally on pgnus, but confused about MIME
@ 1999-10-31 23:34   ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 1999-10-31 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hrvoje> merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:
>> How do I get at that "2." thing?

Hrvoje> Because the GIF is technically the second MIME part.  Press `K b', and
Hrvoje> you'll understand it.  Press `K C-h' to see what MIME commands are
Hrvoje> available.

Perhaps the manual needs to be updated to include these mysterious
"K ... " commands. :)  I was looking for exactly these!  Thanks.

Hrvoje>   (Note that the commands take numeric prefix that
Hrvoje> corresponds to the number you see.)  Or, you can do the same using the
Hrvoje> context-sensitive menu on button3.

I don't have a "button3".  I'm in text mode.

Hrvoje> The most frequently used MIME command is `b', which "activates" the
Hrvoje> MIME part, i.e. shows it inline, runs an external command, whatever is
Hrvoje> appropriate.  In your case, pressing `2 b' would display the image as
Hrvoje> dictated by your .mailcap file.

Ahh, I guess I have to get a .mailcap file then.  Where is the description
of that?

* Re: finally on pgnus, but confused about MIME
@ 1999-10-31 23:53     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-10-31 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Hrvoje> merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:
> >> How do I get at that "2." thing?
>
> Hrvoje> Because the GIF is technically the second MIME part.  Press
> Hrvoje> `K b', and you'll understand it.  Press `K C-h' to see what
> Hrvoje> MIME commands are available.
>
> Perhaps the manual needs to be updated to include these mysterious
> "K ... " commands. :)

I thought it was.  <check check...> You're right, they aren't in the
manual.  Well, yes, I agree they should be documented.  :-)

> Hrvoje>   (Note that the commands take numeric prefix that
> Hrvoje> corresponds to the number you see.)  Or, you can do the same
> Hrvoje> using the context-sensitive menu on button3.
>
> I don't have a "button3".  I'm in text mode.

Then use the mysterious functions.  The mouse menu is just a nice
shortcut for when you don't feel like thinking about numbers, cryptic
bindings and stuff.

(Not that I have anything against cryptic bindings.  Cryptic bindings
are nice.  It's *new* cryptic bindings that suck.:-)

> Hrvoje> The most frequently used MIME command is `b', which
> Hrvoje> "activates" the MIME part, i.e. shows it inline, runs an
> Hrvoje> external command, whatever is appropriate.  In your case,
> Hrvoje> pressing `2 b' would display the image as dictated by your
> Hrvoje> .mailcap file.
>
> Ahh, I guess I have to get a .mailcap file then.  Where is the
> description of that?

An example of .mailcap comes with Nathaniel Borenstein's "metamail"
package.  If you have it installed, the mailcap should be at
(/usr/local)?/etc/mailcap.

But if your MIME needs are simple (mine are), you needn't worry about
gory details.  A .mailcap entry typically looks like this:

image/gif; xv %s

That should be enough to get you started.

* Re: finally on pgnus, but confused about MIME
@ 1999-11-02  1:38     ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1999-11-02  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

> I don't have a "button3".  I'm in text mode.

You can also move point to the attachment, and press return.  All Gnus
text buttons works that way.

> Ahh, I guess I have to get a .mailcap file then.  Where is the description
> of that?

RFC 1524.

* Re: finally on pgnus, but confused about MIME
@ 1999-11-02  9:22       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1999-11-02  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

>> Ahh, I guess I have to get a .mailcap file then.  Where is the description
>> of that?

> RFC 1524.

        http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1524.txt
(for easy reference).

* Re: finally on pgnus, but confused about MIME
@ 1999-11-07  0:28       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-11-07  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> I thought it was.  <check check...> You're right, they aren't in the
> manual.  Well, yes, I agree they should be documented.  :-)

Yup.  Fix in Pterodactyl Gnus v0.98.1.