* bug: non-ASCII chars in Content-Description are broken
@ 1998-12-11  8:54 Vladimir Volovich
From: Vladimir Volovich @ 1998-12-11  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

russian characters (and perhaps other non-ASCII chars) in
Content-Description are not encoded properly (perhaps they are put in
the internal Emacs-MULE encoding).

	Best regards, -- Vladimir.

* Re: bug: non-ASCII chars in Content-Description are broken
@ 1998-12-13  9:00 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-12-13  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vladimir Volovich <vvv@vvv.vsu.ru> writes:

> russian characters (and perhaps other non-ASCII chars) in
> Content-Description are not encoded properly (perhaps they are put in
> the internal Emacs-MULE encoding).

I've fixed this in 0.66, but this brings up a policy issue.

RFC2231.  Has anyone heard of it?  It specifies that non-ascii
contents of headers such as this should be encoded thusly:

 title*2="isn't it!"

Er.  No, it doesn't; RFC2045 says that Content-Description should be
encoded according to RFC2047.  Never mind.

But, like, the policy issue stands, because RFC2231 says that
Content-Type should be encoded like the monstrosity above, and I've
never seen one of these in real life.  I've written the functions to
encode and decode this, but, uhm, should Gnus use the encoding parts?