* Wish: automatic splitting of replies
@ 1998-08-18  9:50 Kai Grossjohann
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-08-18  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

WIBNI there was a way to automatically split replies and followups to
a message so that they end up together with the originals?

Suppose I get a message which doesn't match any of my split methods
and thus ends up in nnml:mail.misc.  I then use `B m' to put this
message in the nnml:mail.foo group.  What I want is that followups to
this message will automagically be split such that they arrive in
nnml:mail.foo.

Of course, the way to implement this is to hook something into `B m'
which remembers the message id and group then split on the References
and/or In-Reply-To headers appropriately.  Unused message ids could be
expired from this after a specified time.

Do you also think this would be tremendously useful?  Any takers?

kai
--
OOP: object oriented programming;  OOPS: object oriented mistakes

* Re: Wish: automatic splitting of replies
@ 1998-08-18 11:56 ` Christophe Broult
From: Christophe Broult @ 1998-08-18 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@amaunet.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

[snip]
> Do you also think this would be tremendously useful?  Any takers?

Yes I think that would be really useful.

Chris

--
// Chris Broult <mailto:Christophe.Broult@info.unicaen.fr>
// http://www.info.unicaen.fr/lpv

* Re: Wish: automatic splitting of replies
@ 1998-08-18 15:34 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-08-18 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@amaunet.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> Do you also think this would be tremendously useful?  Any takers?

Sounds moderately useful, but I'm not going to write the code.

* Re: Wish: automatic splitting of replies
@ 1998-08-25  7:51 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-08-25  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> WIBNI there was a way to automatically split replies and followups to
> a message so that they end up together with the originals?

I get this for free by using a Bcc header in the messages I send out.

* Re: Wish: automatic splitting of replies
@ 1998-08-25  9:58   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-08-25  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  > > WIBNI there was a way to automatically split replies and followups to
  > > a message so that they end up together with the originals?
  >
  > I get this for free by using a Bcc header in the messages I send out.

In what way does that help me with the following scenario?

(1) I receive a mail from someone.
(2) I decide that this mail needs to be in the nnml:foo group, so I
    type `B m nnml:foo RET'.
(3) I write a reply, which is also put in nnml:foo (via Gcc, say).
(4) Followups to the message, as well as to my reply, should end up in
    nnml:foo, too.

Please note that there is no split method which puts the messages in
nnml:foo.  You just can't design split methods in advance which will
work for all mails.

kai
--
OOP: object oriented programming;  OOPS: object oriented mistakes